Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 18, 2002, 1:03 PM   #121

James,

I remember seeing the Waverley at least 25 years ago when I was sailing in the Kyles of Bute. I didn't know it was still operating.

fenlander

later...

I see that Oly focusing (specifically with the 5050) is also a hot topic on dpreview. This is a good contribution:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=3989177
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 3:20 PM   #122

Fenlander,
Yes I read that posting earlier but I think it shows again photographic experiance gained over a long time pays off.Digital cameras at my recent introduction I thought of as computer addons and not electronic photography.The waverly is still going and Iam going to retrieve the Canon S30 that took the snap.

jasm
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2002, 4:51 PM   #123

James,

As I recall, the S30 is as full-featured as the C4000. I'm not sure why you would take better pics with it, but clearly you believe that you do, and maybe confidence counts for a lot.

Someone earlier said that the C4000 is a point-and-shoot because it has a program mode. I don't think that's true: even the Oly's P mode requires some understanding of basic principles. Certainly, my Fuji 2800 produces much more reliable pictures than the Oly in Program. On the other hand, it takes all the decisions out of my hands and limits what I can do.

The S30 gives the photographer all the same options as the C4000. Perhaps its Program mode is better implemented.

Lodewick:

IF you want/need/lust after a long tele lens
***THEN get a 730
***ELSE IF you want to stick it in your pocket
******THEN get a C50
******ELSE
IF money=no object
THEN get a C5050
ELSE
get a C4000
END IF
END IF
SATISFACTION=TRUE

fenlander
Old Dec 21, 2002, 2:48 AM   #124

Default using aperture priority

Okay Fenlander, I tried your advice...I used AP mode,f6.3, SHQ, spot focus, auto WB, ISO 100, sharpness +2, contrast -3 and locked the focus at 3 to 4 feet. To my eyes, the image is not as sharp as it should be in all areas, especially the road surface in front of the driveway, right-hand side...what do you think? Thanks, Marco
http://www.pbase.com/image/9238611[/url]
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2002, 5:30 AM   #125

Marco,

I think 3-4 feet is a bit close. You're in focus up to the road (the mailbox is sharp); beyond that it's a lttle soft. Remember that the depth of field is less the closer you focus: try 6-8 feet. In fact, why not shoot a series (on a tripod if you have one) focusing at 3, 6, 9, 12 feet at f2.8, f5.6, f8, just to see the difference.

fenlander
Old Dec 22, 2002, 12:34 AM   #126

Thanks, Fenlander
Old Dec 22, 2002, 6:08 AM   #127

Wishing a happy Christmas and a Guid New Year to all I have had my eyes opened by the help from all and Fenlander in particular ,his advice in language to understand has been great.To a good future for all,cheers.

jasm
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:05 AM   #128

How do you lock the focus distance? I haven't seen that option anywhere that I know of.
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:09 AM   #129

Dave,

Take a look at the CD-based manual. Focus lock - page 59, manual focus, page 63.

fenlander
Old Dec 22, 2002, 10:38 PM   #130

Actually, Dave, I simply aimed the camera at an object 3 ft away and depressed the shutter button halfway, which locked the focus at 3 ft, then I simply pointed the camera across the street and pushed the shutter button all the way down.