Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 10, 2002, 1:20 AM   #11

Hey Kanji, if you exchange your C-4000 for a new one, please post your findings on whether you had a defective first camera, or if the new one is basically the same, re focusing issues. If the new one is better, I'll send mine into be repaired. I had tried a second C-4000 about a month ago, and it seemed to take much clearer , in focus images, until I printed the results, and couldn't see any discernible difference. Blessings...
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 5:20 AM   #12

http://www.photo-forums.com/[email protected]@.ee8e111

Worth a read at last posting here.I am a total novice and am overcoming my failings slowly,study the manual its all there.
jasm
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 10:34 AM   #13

I recently returned from a trip to the US with nearly 1000 shots taken with my C4000 in and around the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion and Yosemite. The vast majority were infinity focus shots. Just about every shot is pin-sharp.

I ALWAYS use spot focusing (old SLR habits don't die) and normally leave the camera in a User mode with a min. aperture of f5.6.

I find it very reassuring to be in a User mode because I can define every setting on the camera. If you use A, S or P all sorts of unwanted settings from the last pic. can still be active and affect the result. Switch to User and everything is just as you want it.

I agree completely about the CA - it's very noticeable with this camera (but can normally be removed in post-processing).

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 10:38 PM   #14

Hi,thanks for the ideas and responces, it shows that this is a major issue in a camera that is in all other ways has so many neat and cool features for us. I guess that is why it gripes me so much. Anyway,I have tried in all, 4 different c 4000 cameras,two made in Japan,two made in Korea,if that makes any difference. The last one that I purchased has given the best focusing results and sharpest,clearest,and crispier photos. The pics taken of distant scenes ( infinity) are just as good as other digital cameras in this price range. I think that Finlander is right because I also get better results using the manual mode and not the preset scene or "P" mode when shooting distant scenes. And yes, Skiola,I agree that the spot metering is the better way to go. It would seem that some c4000's are a little better than other examples when it comes to the focusing issue. I still did not get away from the CA problem though ...it would seem that my only solution to this is that I won't be shooting any more backlite Autumn leaves with this camera....although I must say that some people think that the vivid pink colored leaves are very "artesy". So,marcoangels,maybe having the Olympus people fix your c 4000 might be worthwhile,since I found a c4000 that is able to focus out farther than ten feet, maybe yours is repairable. In going through all this rigamarole with this camera, I also purchased two other digital cameras with 4MPs, since I don't want to get anything started,I will note the makers only by a "N" and the other by a "M"
,and they were both in the same price range. I did this to directly compare , that is,to see what I was missing. Once I possessed a c 4000 that could focus on a distant subject o.k., I found that I liked the c4000 better overall. Also,gibsonpd3620,I did try and contact the Olympus people, but I never received any response from them at all....very disappointing,but evidently not too unusual with camera manufactorers. Anyway, this has been what I have been up to for the last few days, and I enjoyed it especially when I stumbled upon a c 4000 that worked !!
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 2:01 AM   #15

Thanks Kanji, I'm going to try the min ap at 5.6 and see if that works. Most of my shots are close range, portraits and the C-4000 works well for them, I'd just like to be able to shoot a 'clear', in focus, landscape shot...God Bless all!
Old Nov 17, 2002, 4:54 AM   #16

Back to that CA...

I'm not sure if this is CA, bloom, or some other lens artefact, but I think it's a fairly spectacular example.

The pic was taken in Antelope Canyon - dim semi-underground setting with brilliantly illuminated gaps in the roof. There was NO blue present!

Second is the same shot after a little work with PaintShop Pro.

I suppose this is less pretty than the first, but at least it's reasonably accurate.

fenlander
Old Nov 22, 2002, 1:39 PM   #17

I am looking for a digital camera currently and I was very interested in the C-4000. But after reading all your reviews, it doesn't seem to be the best choice.
What I don't understand is that ALL the tests that I read said that it was a great camera with an outstanding picture quality. Apparently, you have encountered problems with some of your photos...
I would rather buy the Canon S40, because I did not find any bad reviews about this one.
Geff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 8:45 PM   #18

Geff,

Don't be put off. Apart from the problem described earlier I'm hugely impressed with the C4000. Above all, it represents superb value for money.

We all do a balancing act with the features we want and the price we want to pay. There are definitely better cameras than the C4000, but none I've found that offers as many features for under $400 (400 here in the UK!). If there was a perfect camera at a give-away price everyone would buy it and all the other manufacturers would go bust. There is no such camera - even top of range DSLRs come in for criticism for some perceived failings.

Any camera you buy is going to do some things very well and some less well. So far, my experience with the C4000 leads me to beware when photographing extreme-contrast subjects (because of the CA). I avoid using the iESP focus because for me it doesn't work reliably. I prefer to use User modes rather than Program because Program (in my opinion) sets too wide an aperture in order to minimise shutter speed. The lens cap drives me mad. I'd like a remote and a cheaper flash option - but I can live without them.

On the other hand, I've seen none of the reported problems with focusing. The camera does a much better job of setting exposure than I can (and I have tried to out-think it!). The lens is crisp and the 4mpx images are capable of more enlargement that my printer can cope with. It goes all day on one set of batteries. I'm not interested in movies, so I don't miss sound. I came back from my last trip - the first with the Oly - with the best set of pictures I have ever taken, including some great panoramas.

I'm learning to live with or work around the camera's weak points and exploit its strengths. Whatever camera you buy, you will have to do that. If your hobby is photography, you will learn to get the best from your camera. If you just like collecting digital cameras, then there will be a never-ending supply, each a little better than the one that came out last week - and you will NEVER be happy with last week's camera.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 2:06 AM   #19

Geff, despite Fenlander's appeal, the C-4000, while being a good deal as far as features vs cost, is a pain in the butt compared to other digicams I've tried. My Oly D-490z was a breeze to use, never had a focusing problem and produced sensational images at 2 mp...the C-4000 reminds me of the Epson photo printers, you can get remarkable results, but you will need to spend a lot of hours fine-tuning the settings...you don't want these headaches, choose another camera...I am stuck with my C-4000 and am making the best of it..Blessings, Johnny
Old Nov 23, 2002, 12:13 PM   #20

marcoangels, aren't you overlooking the pics of member dave1 and the thread c4000 problems. Here is an example of dave1, what the c4000 (all of them) should be able to do:

http://wiz.linuxchicken.com/pics/stone_mtn2.jpg

remember he said his camera is set to +5 sharpness, contrast default or up a bit. Exif shows it's 1/650 f2.8 full telephoto and program setting. Wish I could see the pic at best resolution.
So, it is possible to get good sharp landscapes with c4000. Just not with our ones it seems. Maybe they were assembled on a friday.

Thanks,
David
david is offline   Reply With Quote