Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 2, 2002, 2:00 PM   #51

fenlander, ted's 3rd pic is ok. The corruption you show is a glitch in your download.

David
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 2:26 PM   #52

Fenlander,

That is very interesting, this error does not show up when I load the page and I have tried in Netscape 4.7 and 7.0 and IE 6.0.

In any case, thanks for letting me know about this anomaly.

Ted.
tedamenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 4:15 PM   #53

Funny, I refreshed the page a couple of times but got the same result. It's probably cached on my ISP's server somewhere.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 2:12 PM   #54

Ha fenlander!
Perhaps now we are so deep within this thread, the magic of the oh so sharpness of your picture postings here could please be divulged? They delude me so much, haha!

Jestings,
David

PS. I don't see your EXIF data.
Seriously, the following of yours truly was SHQ and camera on support, 100 iso and no flash. Aperture 5.6, spot focus, I don't call this sharp(see exif). Not sure why background is so grainy. Notice the distortion of the monitor and the picture above it. This was NOT at widest wide angle setting. Large file anyway!
http://www.hereat.freeserve.co.uk/david.jpg

OK
David
Old Dec 5, 2002, 3:21 AM   #55

There is no magic to producing sharp photos there is simply correct technique. Perhaps, some of these cameras are malfunctioning but I venture that most work just fine. I know mine does. To achieve sharp images find a technique that works for you. Even when one does that, of course things can go wrong - but most of the time you will have excellent results.

This is what roughly works for me assuming the image has been captured correctly e.g. not a distorted mess:
1. As others have said shoot at F 5.6 or higher.
2. Sharpening -3 to -5
3. Contrast around -3

For me post-processing is where the magic happens. I didn't invent this technique but it does work.

In Photoshop I do the following (after adjusting levels, contrast, color etc.):
1. Create a layer for the Dust and Scratches Filter. Set a radius of three, and threshold of 0. Change blend mode to color.
2. Copy D&S layer, change blend mode to normal at 50% opacity.
3. From original (primary) layer Despeckle 3X.
4. Sandwich your layers.

Now, move on to Unsharp Mask.
1. Sharpen somewhere in this ballpark. Amount 100%, Radius 2.0, Threshold 3.
2. Final step, choose Edit > Fade Unsharp Mask. Change the blend mode to Luminosity. Leave the opacity at 100%.

You can play around with these variables but the end result should be nice sharp photos.
Brian_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 6:41 AM   #56

David,

I note the exposure on this shot was 1 second. That's probably the cause of the noise. Try another one with noise reduction turned on.

fenlander

Later that evening.....

I've been trying to replicate the effect in your posting. I tried shooting at 1 second indoors with and without noise reduction but I cannot reproduce the flattening of the colours and noise levels in your shot, even with NR turned off. It almost looks as if a PS filter has been applied to imitate poster colours or something similar.

I think you're right to be dissatisfied with this result. Where did you buy the camera?
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 3:47 PM   #57

Firstly, fenlander thanks for your addition to your posting. I bought my camera over the web from Ace Cameras: http://www.acecameras.co.uk

385 with free case and charger.

The rest of this post is before your addition:-

Thanks fenlander,
I kind of guessed you were going to say about the 1 second exposure and the noise. Is this why it is not sharper? Will try with noise reduction on. I find no mention in the manual about focus when using self timer i.e you can't hold the shutter button half way and be in the shot at the same time. Mmm.
And ,also, thank you Brian_T. I appreciate your detailed response. Sadly, Photoshop is way, way above my budget. But I understand what you are saying. It's a bit infuriating when people always say their camera works fine. Like the manufacturers walk on water and never make a dud. Although I note you do venture it is possible some cameras may be malfunctioning. Good on you !
The main thing springing to mind at present is a friend of mine who uses a Fuji 4900. She uses it in Auto mode. Does not know how to adjust files in software and gets well exposed, sharp pictures, just about every time.
I would post examples here but unfortunately due to her serious ill health at present, I am not in contact with her.
I like fiddling around but get a bit chessed off that I paid for a program mode that does not live up to my expectation i.e. I like to get my moneys worth !
I have been taking 35mm pics and processing b&w on and off for some 30 years, so I am used to technique. Oh well, thanks all again.

Regards,

David

Oops, I did'nt mean to give the impression I got my camera at this price, I paid 392 with no extras.
Old Dec 5, 2002, 4:18 PM   #58

David, I think this thread has at least fleshed out the issue. On one hand, your camera may be defective. On the other hand, it is user error. If after all these suggestions (and since you aren't a novice) you still experience a lack of sharpness we might as well invoke Ocam's Razor.

"When you have two competing theories which make exactly the same predictions, the one that is simpler is the better."

Though I am pleased with my OLY 4000 I think the most simple explanation that addresses your problem is a manufacturing flaw. If you were inexperienced then I would not draw this conclusion. Unfortunately, there are duds with all products. It sounds like you got one. I know it is a pain to return it to the manufacturer but it is apparently your only recourse. Good luck.
Old Dec 6, 2002, 5:39 PM   #59

Sorry I did not see this thread before guys....been busy with work and what not...

Yeah sometimes my 4000z takes good landscape photos, but other times they are not that great. I am still working with the settings on the camera to get it to have a nice accurate picture everytime. I have dropped the sharpness off a bit back to just 1 and am messing with some more settings. I'll try to get some more pictures tomorrow when I go out and post them.

Also, here are some pictures I took at a nature center recently that I forgot I had taken...this is after I had messed with the settings on the camera again...need to go back and tweak some more

http://wiz.linuxchicken.com/nature/page_01.htm
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 5:10 PM   #60

A few 4000 point and shoot snapshots. One with fauna wife took P mode. Halloween quickly taken with flash. Third Aperture priority snapped with flash. All touched up in PS. They still need work.

http://www.pbase.com/bribourbon/inbox