Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 7, 2002, 5:55 PM   #61

Here are a couple of pictures I snapped today with the default settings...I really didn' thave time to mess with the settings and take some more pictures as I was in a rush...

And the rest:

http://wiz.linuxchicken.com/creek2.jpg
http://wiz.linuxchicken.com/creek3.jpg
http://wiz.linuxchicken.com/creek_cabin.jpg
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 7:32 PM   #62

Here is a link to a section of a website designed by me as a favour to a friend who has just converted to digital. These are taken with a kodak 1.3 megapixel that I think knocks the spots off what I've seen here with the c4000 so far. What do you think?
http://website.lineone.net/~ken_goldfinch/new.htm

Many regards,
David

dave1, I think you need to keep your contrast down as a preset in the camera. To minus 3. And drop the exposure settings (aperture or shutter, your choice) for the kind of pictures you have shown recently.
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2002, 9:43 PM   #63

While those are nice pictures David, I still think the c4000 takes better pictures. I have made some adjustments to the settings on my camer in "my personal mode" so I will take some shots tomorrow to see what I can get. However, any camera if it's a good name brand camera takes good pictures no matter the megapixel. My dad has a .75 MP Sony Mavica and it takes great pictures...I'm still surprised how good it is. Compared to my crappy cheat 1.3 MP HP I had, it all depends on the quality of the camera...
dave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 3:00 AM   #64

David, those are nice photos. Not a very sunny land heh. Will have to disagree that those pictures evidence a superior camera. "Lady and a Tramp" illustrates the camera's limitations.
Brian_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 3:37 AM   #65

Hi David, from what I'm seeing, your friend's 1.3 mp Kodak definitely takes 'clearer' shots than my C-4000. My Oly D490 took comparable shots. Despite the camera defect vs user error argument going on here, isn't it odd that no other camera in this forum is causing such problems?
I have had great success with 'portrait' shots in general, but lately I've been getting some 'blurred' closeups, and I don't think my technique has changed that much. While I appreciate the advantage of 4 mp, it is really irritating to be going from a situation where every image I captured with my 2 mp Oly was sharp and easily printed, to one where less than 50% of my images are satisfactory and I have to spend countless hours trying to figure out what's gone wrong.
Also, while it is obvious that members like 'Fenlander' and 'NHL' and formerly, 'Demmy', are very skilled and have years of experience, their input, while being knowledgeable, is like Michael Jordan telling a 6th grade basketball team, that he can't understand why they can't 'dunk' the ball!
I think that Olympus has finally found a match for 'the Edsel'...
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 7:56 AM   #66

Thanks all,
Just read the post "Noisy 730" and am going to run the pixel mapping routine. Nothing to lose I guess. Yes Brian_T the weather in uk, especially London is a real pain. Recently informed my brother how interesting the positions of venus and mars at present and it's been hazy, cloudy, misty, foggy and rainy eversince. Pretty normal really! Not helpful weather for photo taking and evaluating a digital camera though.

Peace,
David
Old Dec 8, 2002, 8:15 AM   #67

Hi, one and all,

I just finished posting a selection of pics taken with my C4000 on my recent trip to the US. If you're interested, please take a look at:

http://www.pbase.com/madagascar_azm/deserts_and_canyons

(strange address, I know, but the galleries grew further than originally intended). The pics were all taken in SHQ, mostly using contrast -3 and sharpness 0. Everything was hand held unless there was a suitable ledge handy to prop the camera on (as in the pic of the Glen Canyon dam). Everything has been downsized to 1280x960 and jpeg compression 10.

These are basically holiday snaps, all taken on the move with little time to get artistic, so I make no claims for them beyond the fact that a) they're sharp! and b) they're a good memento of a superb trip.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 8:46 AM   #68

Hi fenlander, just looked at your pictures and am knocked sideways. For example the one Bryce Canyon with two people walking along a path. I know I will not get detail within detail from a digital camera but I only want basic shapes to be in sharp outline which is what I have always expected from any digital camera. Know what I mean?
Anyways, your pics sure beat the Tower of London (big yawn).!!!!!!

David
Edit.....oh fenlander. I dont believe people will not be interested in exif data if the original file has been adjusted. I for one am nosey enough to want to know the original shutter speed and aperture setting etc.
marcoangels,...... please I don't do american!! what was was all the last stuff in your posting about??
Quote:
Also, while it is obvious that members like 'Fenlander' and 'NHL' and formerly, 'Demmy', are very skilled and have years of experience, their input, while being knowledgeable, is like Michael Jordan telling a 6th grade basketball team, that he can't understand why they can't 'dunk' the ball!
I think that Olympus has finally found a match for 'the Edsel'
Thanks,
God loves us all.
David
Old Dec 9, 2002, 4:08 AM   #70

Fenlander, your pics are absolutely incredible...either you have a C-4000 that is picture-perfect, or you are putting us on, and using a pro-digicam, under the pretenses of it being a C-4000! You're pics are ultra-clear...my C-4000 will not capture anything close to what you're posting!!!!
If I could get your results, I would not be wasting my time here, looking for answers.
marcoangels is offline   Reply With Quote