Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 12, 2002, 5:29 PM   #81

Fenlander
Thanks Iwill check it. jasm
jasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 7:04 PM   #82

http://www.pbase.com/jasm/jasm Fenlander I must say Iwont keep going on and on ,this is initial hope someone is kind enough to point out my more obvious errors and then Iwill continue onwards by trial and error these are a mix of reduced to800x600 and 2 full images
Old Dec 13, 2002, 4:20 AM   #83

jasm,

It always seems very presumptuous to set yourself up as a critic of other people's work and I guess most contributors to forums like this try to avoid the embarrassment of doing so. As a result, you see lots of highly appreciative comments on some quite ordinary pictures.

OK, I'll take the plunge. The pics of yours I like best are the ornamental urn and the formal garden. Why? - because they are the most focused (in the compositional sense - they know what they're pictures OF).

Nos. 003 and 009 don't have this focus - I suppose they're intended to be pictures of buildings, but in each case half the frame is taken up with a messy road or an empty car park. It's a case of the camera seeing far more than your eye.

The trees against the horizon are good examples of how difficult it can be to record what seemed a very pleasant view at the time. The sky is not quite as colourful as you remember it, there are more trees than you remember being there, and is that the edge of a roof with a puddle on it at the bottom of the frame?

Some of the pictures would benefit from a degree or two of rotation to true them up (urn, garden). On my C4000 the optical viewfinder is skewed by about 1 degree, making it impossible to use accurately - maybe yours is the same. Try a picture on a tripod including a vertical plane (a wall or similar) aligned very accurately with the cross hairs in the viewfinder, then see if the result is as upright as it should be. If not, use the LCD screen in preference to the viewfinder.

Also, remember that cropping is the quickest way to improve most pictures. If you remove the road and the traffic island from 009 you get a much better picture.

I know the pics I've been posting recently have been very large-scale landscapes. This is unusual - I find that many of the pictures I've taken that I like best are of small details of things - carvings, sculptures, people. I think good landscapes are particularly difficult - if you get in close to your subject you might be pleased with the result.

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 5:35 AM   #84

Fenlander.
Thank you that is exactly what Iwas after with maybe some comments on camera and settings. Following threads in this forum does little for the confidence in the camera.
ta again
jasm
Old Dec 13, 2002, 1:03 PM   #85

Jasm, this is a good site.

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...CompMain.shtml
Brian_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 1:22 PM   #86

jasm,

A few observations then...

1) Well done for using aperture priority.

2) Small aperture=greater depth of field, large aperture=small depth of field. Digicam lenses are so short in focal length that they have considerable inherent depth of field anyway, making it difficult to throw a background out of focus. In your pic of the urn you did the right thing in using full telephoto as this will also reduce the depth of field and help give an out-of-focus background. It might have been worth opening the lens to f2.8 to increase this effect.

3) The pic of the building with colonnades was taken on P)rogram. The C4000 seems to think everyone has a very shaky hand, so it always seems to use f2.8 in program mode, in this case with 1/800th second exposure. Unless you'd had a very alcoholic lunch, your hand should be steady enough to close down to, say f5.6 with a slower shutter speed (using aperture priority). Lenses give better crispness at smaller apertures.

Here's a version of the pic with half a degree of rotation, cropped, sharpened and with contrast reduced and gamma slightly increased.

4) The garden needed rotating 2 degrees left. You can do this in software.

5) Several of the pictures seem a little too contrasty - this is a known "feature" of this camera. It's worth tweaking the contrast down to -2 or -3 to compensate for this. The garden also seems a little over-saturated, but I'd be inclined to remedy that post-production.

6) The new picture (003) is a puzzle. I think the flash has "killed" the picture, though it would probably have been impossible to take it at all without flash.

Here are two pics taken (on film) on a very dull day in the Forbidden City. The first is with flash, the second by natural light. I have one somewhere (which I can't lay my hand on) of the second subject taken with flash. Like the dragon it is flat and lifeless and all the colour is gone. On-camera flash is a last resort!

fenlander
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2002, 5:31 PM   #87

Fenlander,
Thank you very much for your help I appreciate your tme and effort I have to be more patient before and after the image is taken.It is frustrating being so novice in this field I do enjoy it was only meant to be a computer addon but I am now hooked.Thanks.
james morgan
Old Dec 14, 2002, 4:44 AM   #88

I just put up some 4000 pics that were shot in total auto mode. They're a bit rough, but within the range that I would expect from auto mode.

http://www.pbase.com/bribourbon/pueblo
Brian_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2002, 5:39 AM   #89

Brian,
Nice bright happy images where does all that blue sky come from no wonder we Scots are so miserable.

jasm
Old Dec 14, 2002, 2:07 PM   #90

Default C4000Z

Here are some pics that I have taken locally with my C4000Z:

http://www.pbase.com/kanji/c_4000_pics

http://www.pbase.com/kanji/napa_scenes
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote