Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 10, 2002, 2:08 AM   #1

Default c 50 vs. c 2100

Hi there,
I just saw the new c-50 yesterday and was impressed of it by the first view. I actually wanted to see the new canon ixus v3, but after I saw the c-50, that is out of mind now.

At the moment I have a c 2100 and I'm quite pleased with it. I love the 10x optical zoom and the stabilizer and all the extra functions.

However, I dont bring the c-2100 always with me because of the bulky size. That's why I am looking for a smaller camera. It happened the same way with my analog cameras. I'm using more my Ixus now than my SLR.

I'm certainly not a profi, even not a semi profi, therefore I would appreciate to get some feedback to my questions:

1.) What kind of quality difference can I expect from 5mp compared to my c-2100 if I save the pictures in JPG format (SHQ )?

2.) Which camera will have better results in Macro Mode?

3.) I don't have printer so far. Is there any printer to be recommended that can print directly from Smart Media and XD cards?

4.) Would it be the better solution to compromise and to sell off the c-2100 and to invest into only one 5mp camera with medium size (for example 5050)?
hegisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2002, 7:33 AM   #2

I would buy the C50 and take it on those trips. I would keep the C2100 for it zoom power and stabilizer. The C50 is so small that you can always take it with you.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 1:19 PM   #3

I agree with gibson. Your C-2100 will do things that no camera currently in production will do, so you'll probably kick yourself if you sell it. Keep it and get a smaller camera for those situations in which you don't want to talk a bulky camera. Unless you find you just aren't using it ...

By moving from a 2 MP camera to a 5 MP one of equal quality you will be able to print or view at about 1.6x larger size at the same resolution. Otherwise the quality will be the same.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 3:16 PM   #4
lg

Default Re: c 50 vs. c 2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by hegisin
4.) Would it be the better solution to compromise and to sell off the c-2100 and to invest into only one 5mp camera with medium size (for example 5050)?
I'd hang on to the C-2100! There's not a camera out there that can match the combination of image stabilization, 10x optical zoom, and image sharpness and exposure. I just purchased a backup for mine on eBay, and most of these refurbished and used cameras are still going for $400-$500, what I paid for mine new in April of this year! I may be wrong, but I predict that the value of the C-2100 you have will increase over time.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2002, 3:31 PM   #5

Default Re: c 50 vs. c 2100

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg
I'd hang on to the C-2100! There's not a camera out there that can match the combination of image stabilization, 10x optical zoom, and image sharpness and exposure.
Soon there will be the 12x zoom Panasonic DMC-FZ1 with image stabilization and Leica lens...but it won't come close to the cheap price of an old C-2100.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 1:00 PM   #6

Default C2100UZ

Don't part with your C2100UZ! I have one, and I agree that it's a bit bulky but I wouldn't want to be without it.

Don't be seduced by more megapixels. It's true that some of the digital DSLRs can record a lot more detail - see the Steve's sample pictures - but I assume that, like me, you don't want to print posters. I seldom even make prints - and if I do they're only small ones to send to friends & relatives who don't have computers. If, like me, you just like to view your pictures on your monitor, I don't see any point in more megapixels.

I agree there's a lot to be said for having a small camera as well as the C2100. I still have my first digital camera - a Leica Digilux zoom (same as the Fuji MX1700) and I often use it when I want to take something less bulky with me. It's only 1.5 megapixels - but I find the pictures very satisfactory. There are some pictures of a Japanese garden, all taken with the old Digilux stored at Sony Image Station, under the user name ngire - you might like to take a look. I don't know if this link will work, but if it doesn't, just go to Sony Image Station & search for ngire .
<A HREF="http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292181415"></A>
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 12:28 PM   #7

Thank you all. O.K., I will certainly not sell my c 2100, as you all think it will become a valuable piece of camera one day.

However, I really would appreciate some advise regarding my printer question. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
hegisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 12:44 PM   #8

I would recommend the HP7550. Six color printer that will read from smart media, cf, xd.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 7:23 PM   #9
Mac

I have had very good luck with HP's over the years and own 4 which are still working. I've had one HP7570 Plotter that's printed blueprints for 10 years without a breakdown. I am now using a HP 960 C for prints but am looking at the new models as well (like the one listed above). HP has given me my monies worth time and time and again with good color. You can also just you the four cart. color as well which will save you a little money. I think the 6 color will give you better flesh tones and the like. Enjoy!!!

Mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote