Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 11, 2005, 11:42 AM   #1

Does anyone know if there is likely to be a successor to this lovely piece of kit i.e. with a bigger LCD, Higher MP and possibly a little bit more compcat. I know i ask a lot :-)
simoni_milloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2005, 3:48 PM   #2

Not going to get any more compact w/ a 10x optical zoom. Could cram another Mp or two into a type 1/2.5 sensor, but I anticipate that noise levels would be objectionable above ISO 100. Another option would be the 7Mp sensor from the C-7000/C-7070, but that would mean alarger objective (lens), probably a larger body as well, would also cost more sinceOly would have to invest $ into R&D and manufacture of this new lens. You do ask alot, and understand that there will be very real and probably unwelcome downsides to what you're asking for.

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 3:45 AM   #3

Yep what you say makes sense and i guess I am asking a lot but as the camera is 12 months old already I'm worried about shelling out a lot of money to only find that in the next few months there are compacts on the market with higher MP and similar quality of movie (i.e. MPEG) and all other features. I guess if anything I would sacrifice the Zoom a bit for size of lens, in fact a 5x would be perfect. Can you think of any suitable alternatives with the full screen MPEG quality?

If not then I think I'll just go ahead with the c-770 as it does sound good
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:52 AM   #4

I've got one. And it's good, will recommend it.

Only 1 small downside. No IS. May have some blurry shots at telephoto if the shutter speed is too slow (less than 1/100s). A tripod helps.

I believe the 1/2.5 sensor is limited to 4-5MP max to be efficient. I think if Olympus is coming out with a replacement, it'll be a 5-7MP version (with IS hopefully), bigger LCD should be definite, but this would mean a bigger lens (due to the bigger sensor size) and body.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:23 AM   #5

Thanks Thon but what is IS?
Old Jan 12, 2005, 5:50 PM   #6

image stabilization, found on the panasonic cameras, helps to get a less blured picture due to low shutter speed

dalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2005, 6:58 PM   #7

How 'bout an UZI with 5MP sensor and SD card? You'd just have to 'visualize' it being small.
Panzergnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2005, 4:42 PM   #8

I don't understand why it would take a bigger lens to move for a higher sensor from 1/2.5 size to say 1/1.8 size for a 10x zoom. The C2100, I presume had the same zoom lens with the C750 or the C770 but it has a 1/1.8 sensor. The body of the C2100 is of course bigger that the C750 or the C770.
primo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2005, 8:31 PM   #9

primo wrote:
Quote:
I don't understand why it would take a bigger lens to move for a higher sensor from 1/2.5 size to say 1/1.8 size for a 10x zoom. The C2100, I presume had the same zoom lens with the C750 or the C770 but it has a 1/1.8 sensor. The body of the C2100 is of course bigger that the C750 or the C770.
It's quite hard to explain without going into detail discussion (lecture) on Optics.

To keep it simple, a bigger sensor would mean the lens would need to focus the light onto a larger area. This basically means that the lens would need to be bigger.

A good way to see this is to compare the lens on a compact 35mm film camera and a digital camera. The film lens would be much bigger than the digital camera's and might not even have the same zoom capabilities. This is because the 53mm film is much much bigger than a digital camera sensor.

If Olympus is going to come up with a larger sensor for the UZs, the lens will have to be enlarged (larger lenses are harder to design and make) and the body size as well to support the new lens and this means more cost.

I don't think the 10X lens will be any smaller than the current one. Any upgrades to the C770 would most probably be on the body itself, maybe a bit thinner and shorter but not much else, unless the camera gets a bigger lens/sensor, then it's a different story altogether.

Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2005, 7:19 PM   #10

My point is this in summary:
C2100 sensor size: 1/1.8; lens: 10x; bigger body
C750/C770 sensor size: 1/2.5; lens: 10x; smaller body
I presume that the C2100 and the C750/C770 uses the same lens.
So,if there would be a 10x zoom 7MP camera that would use a 1/1.8 sensor size it would probably use the same configuration of the C2100 except for the software to process a 7MP output. There will be no need for a bigger lens in this case since there was already has a lens for a 1/1.8 sensor previously.
primo is offline   Reply With Quote