Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 13, 2002, 9:34 PM   #11

HQ 1600X1200 on a 128MB card I get 257 pictures. I presume everyones the same.. must be surely.

I sent some off to Jessops print service here in UK and the 8x10 are real good quality as far as I am concerned..
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 4:03 PM   #12

Default Wealthy Lancastrians!

Not everybody, alas. In impoverished countries like Canada we have to put up with cast-off British subs and - in my case - a 32 mb card........
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 3:13 AM   #13
lg

Default A reason to set SQ mode to 640x480...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
I might perhaps use SQ - at a smaller picture size, or lower quality - IF I wanted to get more pictures on the card than it holds at the HQ setting.
Herb, have you ever used the "Drive" mode to take pics at about 2 fps? In HQ mode you can take 5 pics before the buffer fills up and the camera has to pause while writing to the card. In SQ mode set to 640x480 resolution, you can fill up the card without depeting the buffer! This might come in handy if you want to experiment some time...not only more pictures, but longer uninterrupted sessions in drive mode.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 4:03 AM   #14

In HQ 1600x1200 I get 15 pictures not 5. Thats using a 128MB card which i presume (rightly or wrongly?) makes a difference.

Is fps set or can you change it somewhere? I am pretty sure its 2fps
Old Nov 16, 2002, 4:26 PM   #15

Default Drive mode

You asked - had I ever used the "Drive" mode to take pics at about 2 fps?

No - in fact I'd never heard of 'Drive' mode till you mentioned it!

I assume it's useful for action pictures - somthing I very seldom take. But I'll keep it in mind.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2002, 12:06 AM   #16
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG
In HQ 1600x1200 I get 15 pictures not 5. Thats using a 128MB card which i presume (rightly or wrongly?) makes a difference.

Is fps set or can you change it somewhere? I am pretty sure its 2fps
You may be right on the HQ mode... as for fps being set, the answer is both yes and no. The actual frames per second is preset at 1.7 by Olympus, and you can achieve this if you prefocus first and turn off continuous focus. With continuous focus on, the camera's fps rate will be considerably reduced, but I don't know the actual rate.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:14 AM   #17

Okay, when you're talking about image size in JPEG settings the subject matter is really important. For instance if using SHQ for a blue sky with clouds and some green mountains, the image will be rather small. However take a shot on a busy /colourful street and the image will be a tad larger - due to how JPEG does its compression. TIFF uses no compression - so each image is 5MB even if it's a BlackFrame that you're shooting.

As for HQ vs SHQ, I get about 90-150 SHQ pictures on my 128MB card, again it all depends on the subject. I do see a difference between SHQ and HQ - but this is only when I do a magnification to 300%. The average user could care less. But come on, unless you were on vacation 247 pictures are just not going to happen before I get back to my computer to download -I'd have eaten through 2 sets of batteries before I even get there.
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 4:01 AM   #18

At a football match I take at least 200 pictures and yes I do change batteries.. I can get to about 130-140 pics but I usualy change the batteries at half time to be safe. Out of those I publish about 50-60 of the best.

And thats NOT using drive mode So every week in a 90 minute session I take about 200 pics and I aint on holiday
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:18 PM   #19

Taken... but I must admit I have the tendancy to look over my shots during lulls and delete the out of focus ones, and those that were just plain bad. I guess that's how I keep down my numbers, it helps me because I won't have to do it when I get back.. thinking I have 200 great photos and having to delete 100+ of them.

But in your case I see the need for HQ mode. Just remember that the smaller your picture the higher the compression - so you might pay for it in a couple pictures.

Kirk
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2002, 2:36 PM   #20

Default Poor Canadians get the best deal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
Not everybody, alas. In impoverished countries like Canada we have to put up with cast-off British subs and - in my case - a 32 mb card........
Maybe you, but I got a Fuji 128meg SM card CHEAP; Fuji Canada has a $50 rebate on them right now, and a $25 rebate on 64meg SM cards (till January 2004):

http://instacontent.mirror-image.net...SMARTMEDIA.pdf

Sorry, CANADA ONLY!!!! :twisted:
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote