Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 10, 2002, 4:02 AM   #1

Default E10 with FL40...help please

FL40 flash with E10 questions. I have recently purchased an E10 and borrowed an fl40 from my camera store to decide if I wish to purchase it.
My question is ....when in P mode, why does the shutter speed stay around the 2 second mark, when the camera should be aware that the fl40 is attached and the pic will be taken in bright light produced by the flash.
Logic would tell me that the available light from the flash would up the shutter speed to allow for hand held photos without camera shake.
Appreciate any thoughts by users who are more experienced than me.
pkable is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2002, 10:34 PM   #2

In P mode the E-10 varies both shutter speed and aperture in order to obtain a proper exposure. In doing so it confuses the flash because it relies on the aperture value from the camera. Try using the FL-40 with the E-10 in A, S, or M modes. In those modes at least one of the exposure values is fixed and the camera can expose correctly with the flash. I don't own the FL-40, but my Metz 54MZ-3 works in the same fashion (TTL). I personally use my flash in either A (when there's lots of available light), or S (when I want to stop action). Hope this helps
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2002, 10:44 PM   #3

Sounds like you have the E-10 set to "Slow Synch". Normally, when you turn on the flash, the shutterspeed jumps up to 1/60 or higher. The slow synch option is provided to defeat this, so that you can capture the ambient light. That's what you have now, apparently. Somewhere there is a button (or menu) on the camera, for selecting flash mode, that scrolls through normal, rear, slow, redeye, etc. Consult the manual.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2002, 2:28 PM   #4

I agree with Skiola...cam must be in Slow Sync...that sets shutter speed to 2 seconds. You can use P, A or S modes with the FL-40 and the normal actions for those modes will occur...i.e., in P the cam selects both shutter and aperture, in S and A, you select one, the cam selects the other. I dunno about the E-10, but on the E-20, the Flash Mode menu options are different for S mode than they are for P and A. Check your manual.
Hope this helps.
Bert
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 12:16 PM   #5

I don't know what I was smoking when I wrote that :lol: disregard my comments :roll:
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote