Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 13, 2005, 5:04 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

I really like to buy this camera, but when I read all these things about auto focus problems, it makes me think twice. Also, I found on this site

http://gna.customer.netspace.net.au/...pusC8080_1.htm

that the camera has problems getting to focus on infinity at manual mode when lens is set to wide or medium focal length. It focuses on 3m, this person claims, and a person on Amazon.com also had this problem.

I have some experience with a digital camera as a friend loaned me his Sony F717 for a while. That lens, even at wide aperture gave really good pictures - really sharp - and focusing was always dead-on. Manual focus was also very good because you could zoom in, manual focus, and zoom out while keeping the correct focus distance. I really like the Sony design but unfortunately the F828 has serious problems with chromatic aberrations - the F717 did also, despite the fact that both cameras have Zeis lenses.

I really want to buy the Olympus because the lens design is the best out there - for a digicam. But I really need good focus control. At least tell me that the focus can be locked at infinity in manual mode!
John F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2005, 8:49 PM   #2

This is straight out of the camera. Just resized without sharpening. f/8 1/s focused to infinity in full manual modewith the c8080wz.
Attached Images

Keyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:05 AM   #3

Keyman wrote:
Quote:
This is straight out of the camera.* Just resized without sharpening.* f/8 1/s focused to infinity in full manual mode*with the c8080wz.
So no one has any problems going to infinity on manual mode?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:00 AM   #4

Dear John F.,
There is no problem with focusing if one knows how to
use the camera properly.
You can download the PDF. C-8080 Manual from the Olympus website and on page 80 it states that " If you move the cursor to the top of the distance indicator in Manual Mode, focusing is not possible. "

That is the mistake that many people do is they see the distance indicator bar with distance calculated in feet or meters <<which ever setting they choose>> and then assume that by moving the cursor to the very top of the scale will give them Infinity Focus>>>>>>>WRONG !
It's been said many times......Read The Manual....Read The Manual.....Read The Manual.
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:24 AM   #5

John G. wrote:
Quote:
Dear John F.,
There is no problem with focusing if one knows how to
use the camera properly.
You can download the PDF. C-8080 Manual from the Olympus website and on page 80 it states that " If you move the cursor to the top of the distance indicator in Manual Mode, focusing is not possible. "

That is the mistake that many people do is they see the distance indicator bar with distance calculated in feet or meters <<which ever setting they choose>> and then assume that by moving the cursor to the very top of the scale will give them Infinity Focus>>>>>>>WRONG !
It's been said many times......Read The Manual....Read The Manual.....Read The Manual.
I've already downloaded the manual, as I always do before buying a product. I was somewhat confused by that sentence in the manual. But you are saying that you shouldn't put the cursor at the very top to get infinity focus, but you should be a couple of ticks below it? Is that it? I was confused because the manual says "Adjust the cursor position by pressing up down". So you should go a couple of ticks below then? And isn't that a bit strange?
Old Jan 14, 2005, 1:33 PM   #6

John F.,

Yes I agrree " a bit strange ". Olympus did have a firm ware upgrade for the C-8080 however it addressed issues with autofocus mode.
The shortcut to know exactly where the limit to infinity
on the scale is >>>During the day put the camera in autofocus and get a focus lock of a scene that you feal qualifies as an " infinity focus shot " >>>by depressing the shutter button half way<<< (((DO NOT TAKE A PICTURE)))
((( DO NOT attempt to get a focus lock on somthing like the ocean on a clear day ))) you need contrast...ok to continue...
then on the left side of the camera, after removing your finger from the shutter button(((do not take the picture))) push the " Auto / Manual "focus button. Then on the viewfinder you will see exactly where the curser is on the scale.
After this procedure is done the camera remains
in the " Manual Mode " focus being locked on whatever you
choose infinity/midway/closeup.

Aperture value (the f-stop ) will also determine your depth of field ( how much of your picture is in focus ).
The larger the number the more items in your picture
are in focus you also need more light to have a larger Number. You might already know this , but just incase other readers new to the basics of shooting in " Manual Mode " come across this thread.

Old Jan 14, 2005, 2:30 PM   #7

John G,

You've been really helpful. So infinity in manual is possible, only the scale doesn't accurately reflect focus distance. Hopefully, Olympus will update the firmware resulting in the scale accurately reflecting distance - the F717 I tried did so. I'm really thinking of buying this camera. I tried a couple of digicams in the store and the C8080 was simply the best in comfort and build quality. Also tried the Nikon 8800 and it was very comfortable, but that one was way more expensive. Did also try the new Olympus E-300 and it felt great. I was thinking about that one too. It was cheaper than the Nikon. What disappointed me was that the E-300 was made in China. Okay, maybe not such a problem for some, but I do try to buy as many products I can which are made in Western countries. I really hate the fact that all jobs are moving to China. And it's also a little bit of a quality assurance problem. The C8080 is made in Japan. Anyway, many thanks. Maybe I go shopping tomorrow.

John F.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:09 PM   #8

John F.
Before you make your decision on the Sony or Olympus, I would buy a cheap memory stick and a cheap CompactFlash then go into the store and take pictures until you fill up the card. Take macro, closeup, midway, and farwaway shots. Then open up the pictures in Photoshop to 100%and compare image quality.
Old Chinese saying..." Don't jump into the lake head first until you know how deep the lake is. "
Only problem that Sony you mentioned is an older model. The stores might not even have it in stock.
Next time you go to a camera shop ,observe how the average person makes a decision on a camera worth $500.-$1000. They look through the viewfinder and they push all the buttons. They make the flash go off....." Hey ma the flash works, lets get this one! "
Old Jan 14, 2005, 3:52 PM   #9

John G. wrote:
Quote:
John F.
Before you make your decision on the Sony or Olympus, I would buy a cheap memory stick and a cheap CompactFlash then go into the store and take pictures until you fill up the card. Take macro, closeup, midway, and farwaway shots. Then open up the pictures in Photoshop to 100%
and compare image quality.
Only problem that Sony you mentioned is an older model. The stores might not even have it on stock.
Old Chinese saying..." Don't jump into the lake head first until you know how deep the lake is. "
Problem is, many stores where I live don't have batteries in their cameras anymore (or adaptors attached), so trying out is out of the question - at least at the big electronic stores where I buy my stuff. :sad: But how do people then make choices concerning LCD and such? Beats me.

The Sony F717 which a friend gave me on loan was rather good, but I didn't have it that long to really give it a go. I have, however, compared dozens of sample photos on the different popular test sites. The Sony cameras, F717 and especially F828, seemed to produce a fair amout of chromatic aberration, either in purple fringe or red and green fringe. Purple usually isn't that bad, but the green is especially visible. This was the case even at small apertures. The Canon Pro1, Minolta A200 do seem to do better in this respect, as does the C8080. So my dilemma is mostly lens/CCD combo quality. Also, Olympus cameras let the user map out bad CCD pixels, whereas other companies don't let you do this.
Old Jan 14, 2005, 4:01 PM   #10

John F.

You've got it !

After you make the decision. Check out this website.
This will allow you to shoot at higher ISO, no flash without losing image quality.
http://www.neatimage.com/index.html