Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:04 AM   #11

Hello all!

Does anyone have an idea when the C-7070 will be available in stores? If that was already discussed my apologies, I missed it.

Regards,
Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:08 PM   #12

Don't know but would guess in April or May. I went ahead and boght the G6 because I decided I liked the f2.0 lens and other featurres.
jtmacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 4:12 PM   #13

Amazon.com says it will be available on April 10th.
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 2:21 PM   #14

Ok, thanks guys!

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2005, 12:27 PM   #15

Quote:

The short actual focal lengths of the lenses on a non-DSLR model is what makes it very hard to blur backgrounds by using a larger aperture (smaller f/stop number) unless you are very close to your subject.
Quote:
If you really need better control of Depth of Field (for example, using a larger aperture to help your subject stand out from backgrounds, then I'd encourage you to look at one of the DSLR models instead). Likewise, if you really need to bring a subject in closer, I'd encourage you to look at a model with a longer optical zoom.

Hi, I`m also considering buying one of these modal (Canon G6 or the Olympus C7070/C5060) and I wanted to know which one will provide me with better effect of that blurry background (or are there no significant differences between the two models due to the short focal lengths) ?

Unfortunately, even entry level DSLR is out of my budget, not to mention that only recently have I started taken interest in photography.

Thanks

Ofir
ofir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 12:23 PM   #16
Administrator

ofir wrote:
Quote:
Hi, I`m also considering buying one of these modal (Canon G6 or the Olympus C7070/C5060) and I wanted to know which one will provide me with better effect of that blurry background (or are there no significant differences between the two models due to the short focal lengths) ?

Unfortunately, even entry level DSLR is out of my budget, not to mention that only recently have I started taken interest in photography.

Ofir, the Canon would have a slight advantage, because it can shoot at wider apertures compared to the Olympus.

But, unless you are able tofill the frame as much as possible with your subject (i.e., head and shoulders style portraits, moving/zooming in as tightly as possible), with the background positioned further away, then I would not expect to see the types of blurred backgrounds you may be accustomed to with 35mm cameras.

There are some techniques that can help (to a point). For example, deliberately focusing well in front of your subject (so that your subject is barely in the area of acceptable sharpness), making sure the background is located further away. But, these techniques will be of limited value with a larger subject (since you'd need to shoot from futher away and/or use less optical zoom for it to occupy the desired percentage of the frame).

You can simulate a shallow depth of field with software (using gaussian blur is one method). So, that may be a way to "have your cake and eat it too".

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2005, 4:35 AM   #17

JimC wrote:
Quote:
You can simulate a shallow depth of field with software (using gaussian blur is one method). So, that may be a way to "have your cake and eat it too".

Great advice !!! And a wonderful forum you have here! :lol:

Thanks

Ofir

ofir is offline   Reply With Quote