Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 16, 2005, 4:56 AM   #1

I recently bought a factory refurbished C-740 as my first digital camera. There was no obvious damage to the camera, and it was complete and clean. Through just a few days of exploring my new camera, though, I began seeing strange behavior that didn't seem consistent with the operation described in the manual. I noticed that the camera would occasionally switch itself to timer mode, or randomly take an exposure while digging around in the menus.

At first, I thought I just wasn't familiar enough with the camera and was mistakenly pressing "shortcut" sequences to trigger these behaviors. But then it started to develop worse symptoms, such as frequently powering down when pressing the up-arrow button while in the menus, and consistently zooming the lens when the down-arrow button was pressed. In fact, it began to seem like every single button was doing something it wasn't supposed to!

I tried turning "all reset" back on and resetting that way, no luck. I also tried resetting by opening the media cover, holding quickview+OK and choosing camera->reset all from the menu. Again, no change. Finally, I tried leaving the batteries out for 24 hours. Still the same problem

Needless to say, I returned the camera. I am awaiting a replacement, but I just wanted to see if anybody else here has experienced the same problems with any C-7xx series camera. I know that my replacement will be another refurb, and I'm concerned about having similar problems with it. If I have the same problems this time around, what should I do? I was otherwise perfectly satisfied with the functionality and image quality of the camera, so as long as I get a working one

Any information or help is appreciated.
R_Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 21, 2005, 11:00 AM   #2

Hi.

I have a C740 (bought new) and have never had anything happen like what you described. I'm very happy withmine and I hope when your replacement arrives it's in good working order and you can enjoy it.

Karen
KarenN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 1:11 PM   #3

See this string

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=22
BrettL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2005, 2:26 PM   #4

I read that thread, which is what gave me the idea to leave my batteries out for a day or so. As stated above, it had no effect. Anyway, I'm anxiously awaiting my replacement and I only hope it works well. Thanks for the pointer, anyway

RH
R_Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote