Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 18, 2002, 3:01 PM   #11

I think you're either unlucky and have a dodgy cam or wierd batteries. I asked the yahoo 700/720/730 forum and one reply says no problem.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 4:33 PM   #12

Thank you all for your replies, I am an Electronics Engineer, I am an avid photographer and have owned other digital cameras, I have never encountered a similar problem with any other battery operated equipment. I know about the shorter AA rechargeables. The only think that will solve the problem is to solder a wire accross the top of each AA battery pair, this simulates a CR-V3 which has an internal connection inside one end of the battery pack which means it does not rely on battery door metal plates to complete the circuit, my conculusion is that the 2 metal plates on the battery door which should complete the circuit for the 2 AA battery pairs is not adequate, I have tried all sorts of different batteries, none pass the tap test without the camera turning itself off making clicking noise, red led flashes and then it comes back on again. Soldering 2 wires accros the top of each AA cell pair solves the problem but that introduces problems when trying to recharge the batteries and it means carrying a soldering iron with you on trips, simply ridiculous. If you have a C-730 please try taping on the bottom of the battery cover with the camera switched on and see if it does the same thing when fitted with 4 AA batteries.
Joe in Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 5:22 PM   #13

Interesting problem, Joe. It's the first I've heard of it. I'll post a link to your comments at the dpreview Oly forum and see what people say. Have you tried just bending the spring leafs upward a little more, so they make better contact?
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 5:38 PM   #14

Hi Sanpete, thanks, I did try bending the springs up, that did make it better but did not solve it, I know this sounds crazy but it is a real problem, I first noticed it when I placed the camera on a tripod and raised the tripod, that was sufficient to turn the camera off etc, bending the springs only worked for a short while, and I am reluctant to keep bending the spring, this is a brand new camera, one week old has taken 200 pictures, it has already been replaced by the dealer, when we both thought it was only a fauly with my C-730, but since, sadly the dealer agrees it is a problem with all the C-730's he has in stock, he has contacted Olympus, no response at this time. I am at the point of sending the camera back for a full refund, but I love the camera it takes great pictures, so caught between a rock and a hard place. How can such a nice camera be stuffed up by a badly designed battery door?
Joe in Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 12:00 PM   #15

I was SO CLOSE to getting this camera for the trip. This is something I want to learn more about before I do anything, because I would go INSANE with something like that. I am very particular that my equipment function as it should. Quirks kill me...

Thanks!
NewMexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 2:33 PM   #16

See these two threads and judge for yourself. No one who has found this problem has reported a problem with it in use except for Joe, even though it's reproducible in cameras that have been in heavy use for over a year. So, it's there, but it's probably not going to cause any real trouble. (Don't think you'll find any camera without quirks, by the way.)

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4689
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3797472
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote