Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 12, 2002, 9:40 PM   #1

Default C730: Rugged and Durable on the Road?

Hi,
I'm leaving in a month on a 15 month trip thru Central and South America. Sounds miserable, I know. Put about the C730...is it durable? I'll keep it packed in a small Pelican when on the road, but I know it will get dinged and futzed with along the way.

Also, does it ONLY have the USB port for uploading, or can you use serial as well. I'll be hopscotching from internet cafe to internet cafe to upload to my website, and not all computers will have USB ports. Nor, the drivers, I know, but I'll take a CD with me.

Thanks!
NewMexEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:12 PM   #2

I am not sure what you mean by dinged. Digital cameras will not take much dinging. The Olympus 730 should sustain normal wear and tear. You only have a USB downloading ability.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:36 PM   #3

Dinged: As in, you turn around with the thing around your neck and it swings into a person or a tree or something. Or you get up from a table and it hits the underside of the table.

I'm not talking about dropping it from 6 ft.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 7:23 AM   #4

I would say that the camera is rugged enough for the incidents you are describing.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:29 PM   #5

I don't consider any camera rugged. Too many fragile bits: Lens, zoom mechanism, view finder etc. However I guess the Oly 730 is as rugged as any. All cameras need to be looked after. No dust, moisture or bangs.

Keep it in a good padded bag.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:57 PM   #6

To make things more sturdy, buy the Olympus CLA-4 tube adapter or another company's substitute with the size you prefer (I think 46 mm is best if you only intend to use a UV filter) and keep it on the camera with the filter at all times to protect the lens and housing. Also be a good idea to carry a spare filter, just in case. The adapters (metal, non-Olympus) and filters can be had at www.2filter.com .

You might also consider a little customized padding for the camera, if practical. (Glue some sturdy padding material in strategic spots, or maybe even a "jungle bra" of your own devising ....)
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 4:10 PM   #7

Steve is right that a digital camera is not rugged, nor are they fragile like china. Digital or 35mm cameras will not withstand any abuse. One of the most exposed items on Olympus zoom cameras is the lens is entended beyond the body of the camera. Sanpete is on the money about using the tube. I always have my tube on so sometimes I forget the need for it. It will help protect the lens when the camera is on. The folks at www.2filter.com are very helpful, knowledgeable and honest.
Old Nov 13, 2002, 5:08 PM   #8

Thanks, and good idea with the padding. I'll also look into the tube and filter.

My old 35 mm has been to the edge of the earth and back, and still snaps great photos.

Best,
NewMexEd
Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:00 AM   #9

Rugged the C-730 is NOT, if you plan to use 4 AA cells, there is a fault you need to be aware of, any shock will power cycle the camera in a strange way, same effect as opening and closing the battery door, something the manual tells you NOT to do as it can cause corrupted images etc. Tap on the battery cover with the knuckle of your finger and the C-730 will turn off, and restart and lose all your settings along the way, mount it on a tripod, raise it and the shock will also do it, it will also sometimes while doing this [even when not being used] forget time and date so all your pictures will have same file names [I know you can set these via the menu] but the camera is not quite right, I have tried 3 different brand new C-730UZ and they all have a major design fault with the battery compartment using 4 AA cells, this camera was designed for the CR-V3 battery [carry a truck load of these, if you have more money than sense and you wont have this problem] which is slightly longer than an AA cell, the problem as I see it is that the AA cells are shorter than the CR-V3, the soft leaf [not a spring, just a spring leaf] down in the battery compartment is too soft and tensioned for the shorter CR-V3 the CR-V3 does not use the metal plates on the battery door like AA cells do, this aspect of camera is unreliable in the extreme, great camera let down by an untested with AA cells battery door that was NOT designed and or tested properly for AA cells. I am not joking! I have tried all sorts of ways of solving it without success.
Joe in Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 1:04 PM   #10

Have you tried putting a blob of solder on top or bottom of cells.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote