Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 13, 2002, 12:46 AM   #1

Default Closest thing to 2100?

Is there another camera on market that has similar zoom and features as the 2100?

Also please advice if $369 is a good price for a refurb 2100 (90day warranty).
power-audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2002, 4:35 AM   #2

The C-7x0 series cameras (700/720/730) has close to everything but the image stabilization and focus assist light (handy features).

There will be a Panasonic camera that has the image stabilization coming out soon, the DMC-FZ1.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 9:07 AM   #3
lg

Default $369 a good price for refurbished C-2100 w/90 day warranty?

Yes, it is! Just make sure they haven't stripped any of the "goodies" out of the box. I just paid $360 for a refurbished unit that didn't contain a lens cap. Ask specifically if it includes the following, which were originally supplied by Olympus:

- Olympus brand 8MB SmartMedia card
- 4 1600maH Olympus brand NiMH AA's and charger
- RM-1 remote
- lens strap
- A/V cable
- USB cable
- US instruction manual
- lens cap
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 12:53 PM   #4

The Canon Powershot ProIS90 has the same lens as the C2100 but it generally more expensive. It is also no longer available as a new camera, although I managed to get hold of a new one from Jessops UK to test drive. This one is actually 2.6M and has a useful swivel LCD viewer. However I think I prefer the C2100 as it has the IR assist lamp and has the same controls as my other Olympus.

KevinJ,
UK
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 1:34 PM   #5

The price appears to be very good and only if all the accessories are with the camera. You can check prices at www.dealtime.com
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:03 AM   #6

I have a refurb that I paid $419USD for. I got everything in the box. then I spent 1/2 that on accessories, extra batteries, filters, 128MB memory, card reader, da Protector, rubber eyepiece etc...

Its an excellent camera, and I have only one complaint about it - it's light but it's big... this is NOT a pouch camera, and although I knew that before I bought it, it takes up a good bit of space in my knapsack whenever I go out...

Nothing is wrong with the refurbs (from a reputable dealer - or even an Amazon zShop), they have been carefully inspected to get the Olympus approval to go back to market.

The Panasonic looks good on paper... but at the end of the day it's still a Panasonic. So I'd say go with the Olympus. Then join the Oly2100 group on YahooGroups to meet up with thousands of other happy UZi owners - it's almost like a cult 8)
kuemauve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2002, 2:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuemauve
The Panasonic looks good on paper... but at the end of the day it's still a Panasonic.
I'd gladly have the Panasonic with its Leica lens over an Oly any day. I only chose an Oly at the time because Panasonic didn't have anything close in zoom at the time, but I will switch when I need a new camera. The Panasonic is more like a real camera, not like the toys from Olympus which are missing half of the body!
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2002, 2:31 PM   #8

I just had to send my uzi for repair and used the time to buy a Minolta Dimage 7HI. No doubt much more expensive than the uzi but the latest technology.

I also love my 7HI, 7xzoom starting from 28mm wideangle, The wideangle is great.

However, for normal usage, the image stabilizer in the uzi is such a great feature. For my 7HI, I surely also have to buy an external flash (heavy and expensive)! A tripod or monopod seems to be a must, too. 5mp don't help if you need slow shutter speeds. Handheld this will result into blurry pictures.

So in future I will walk around with 2 big cameras!!

If money was no problem I would go for the CANON D60 (DSLR) and would use zoom lenses with built in image stabilzer.

Maybe one day we will find the image stabilizer in 5mp cameras, too.
hegisin is offline   Reply With Quote