Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 21, 2005, 4:45 PM   #1

Hi all. My Girlfriend has a mju C-410 and is just wondering if it is possible to delete photos from the 128MB Olympus xD card using her computer, via Windows Explorer. We have connected the camera using the supplied USB cable. Everytime we try it, we get error messages saying something about not being able to find the file - I will have to record the exact error messages I guess !! Also, in the event viewer, there is a disk I/O error. The comp runs Windows XP Pro with SP-2. It has a Celeron 1.7, 512MB DDR RAM. I have tried on my computer and get exactly the same results. I have checked every setting that I can think of in the camera, and on the computers.

Andy
yaabaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2005, 6:42 PM   #2

This is a question that gets asked frequently, and the general rule has historically been that it's safest to never use the computer to do anything to the contents of memory cards, whether erasing or formatting. Copy the photographs to the computer, then use the camera's own controls to erase and/or format the card.
Things may change with technology, so I wouldn't say it as an absolute in every case, and it pays to RTFM with a close eye for nuance.
SFAIK, the 410's reference manual only hints at this fact obliquely--it says you shouldn't use the computer to format cards or change card information, but the general rule goes for erasing as well. You risk damaging the card by doing so.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 11:11 PM   #3

Norm in Fujino, thanks very much for the info,

Andy
yaabaa is offline   Reply With Quote