Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 13, 2002, 8:46 PM   #1

Default 2100-uz hand or tripod held

I should be getting my new 2100-uz tomorrow, and thanks to this website was able to figure out that it was the best camera in that price range for my particular needs (wildlife/nature photography).

Anyway, do most of you still use a tripod when taking pics with the zoom, or does the image stabilization feature make enough difference that it's not very necessary????

thanks, in advance. Hope to have some new pics up after this weekend!
http://www.pbase.com/kandyj
kandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2002, 9:08 PM   #2

Default C2100 and 10x zoom

Whether you're using the zoom or not, it's best to hold the camera as still as you can. I do this and I've been amazed at how well it performs, hand-held, even at 10x zoom.

Try it. You'll like it!
Herb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 9:36 PM   #3

I would have thought difficult for nature to use a tripod. Surely the subjects gone by the time you set up
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2002, 10:03 PM   #4

Default tripod and wildife photography

Actually, i have a quick release on my camera so when taking some pictures of some elk that were pretty still grazing in the fields, I could use it. Also, am wanting to get some shots of my bluebirds at their house, so can set up for that.

I guess I will try both when I get to use it, hopefully this weekend, thanks!
kandyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2002, 5:55 AM   #5

Default Image stabilisation

You'll propably only need a tripod for nightshots.

Even at dawn / dusk, at shutterspeeds around 1/20 at FULL zoom, you'll find the IS makes for 99 out of 100 images perfectly sharp / still, unless you have VERY shaky hands

I even have a picture of a roe-deer, taken under dark clouds, during RAIN! around dusk (about 10 minutes before FULL-dark), shutterspeed: 1/2 Sec! Handheld makes a fine 8"x10" on my wall

You'll never ever ever ever regret getting a C2100 for wildlife!

I've been so happy with it (even though I own more camera's), that I've been condidering getting a back-up C2100 extra should my current one ever die.

Anyhow, enjoy!!!!!!!! You'll be amazed at the zoom + low-shutterspeeed-handheld combination the I.S. is what 'makes' this cam to my eye

Happy shooting!
fotograafdigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2002, 3:22 AM   #6
lg

Default Hand hold most of my shots...

You can hand hold virtually any shot during the day... even fully zoomed, it's possible to get great shots at shutter speeds as slow as 1/8 - 1/4 sec. At dusk or dawn you may want to steady yourself against a tree or other sturdy object... but at any rate, I haven't found the need for a tripod for anything other than night shots (unless of course you want to get into the picture yourself :!: )
lg is offline   Reply With Quote