Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 23, 2005, 12:15 PM   #1

Hello, People.

My digital camera: Olympus C740

My intent: to set the resolution (pixel size) as high as possible so that, when I crop a picture and print the result as an 8x10, I get as sharp an image as possible.

What I have done: I selected the following record mode: SHQ>Enlarge Size (3200x2400 pixels)

My questions:

1. Most important. When I use this mode, the pictures are terribly over-exposed. How do I compensate for this? What am I missing? I noticed in one product review that the 3200x2400 resolution is done by interpolation, not directly. Does this have anything to do with it?

2. Less important. The 3200x2400 works in all still modes except for AUTO. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Barry
Attached Images

Barry Katcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 2:48 PM   #2

I think that the Enlarge Size interpolates (guesses) the additional pixels to create a larger file for large format printing. I think you are probably better off with the SHQ 2048x1536 resolution. I have a 740, and I have been very pleased with my results. You could try using the histogram function to help you set you exposure compensation ( EV ). You also may want to pick up an adapter tube ( Olympus CLA-4) and a circular polarizer to help you with that Florida sunshine. I also have the Oly TCON 17 teleconverter, which I highly recommend if you take pictures of wildlife and such.

BTW, I grew up in West Palm, I used to fish around the Boynton Inlet all the time.
evilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:04 PM   #3

Hi, Roy. Thanks for the response. Yeah, I figured the interpolation was just the usual digital b.s., though I still don't know why it caused the over-exposure. It's a moot point, though, as I re-set to SHQ at 2048x1536. I'll just have to wait til the 10 megapixals come down to where I can afford one.

By the way, I'm at Dog Beach, the little county pocket on A1A just north of Gulfsteam and just south of Ocean Ridge. Still have dirt roads and one-room bungalows, although the developers are breathing down our necks.

Barry
Attached Images

Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:48 PM   #4

The overexposure in the picture here is a contrast problem. The inside of the room is much darker than the outside light, and you have taken your exposure metering on the inside, so the camera opens up to let even more light in, thus overexposing the outdoors. You might try lowering the contrast in-camera (check the mode controls), or trying to prefocus with the center spot closer to the bright light in order to cause the shutter speed to go up and thus tone-down the highlights. I don't know much about the specific recording mode, but I don't it has much to do with your specific exposure problem here.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 8:14 PM   #5

Norm, thanks for your reply.

I'm pretty sure it's not normal overexposure, Norm. I took a whole series of shots, one shot at SHQ and another at SHQ Enlarged. The shots taken in the Enlarged mode were all overexposed, but the regular SHQ shots of the same subject were O.K. I should have included a two-shot comparison in my attachment instead of just the Enlarged mode picture.

Someone suggested that it was a glitch in my particular camera's software. Since the interpolation used to give me the Enlarged is not going to make the picture any clearer, it's become a moot point, as I've just gone back to using regular SHQ

Barry

Old Jan 31, 2005, 2:28 AM   #6

I doubt that the size you're shooting at has any effect on exposure.

If you've got the spot meter on, for instance, just a slight shift in the camera's position from photo to photo can give very different exposures, as the camera's settings are adjusted to the what is inside of the spot meter area when you either lock exposure or take the photo.

Also, for a shot like the sofa/window shot, I'd try exposing for a bright area (but not the absolute brightest), and adding flash for the sofa.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 4:59 AM   #7

EOS RT is right.

If you have Spot metering on the camera only reads from the center, in your photo's case the dark sofa. The exposure is set for the dark areas and cause the light areas to be over-exposed.

You should try use predictive metering or spot metering of a lighter part of the frame (my C770 has AE Lock function, not too sure about the 740).

Setting it to full manual also helps. Take a reading of the shutter speed/aperture in program mode, switch to manual mode and either increase the shutter speed a bit or closing the aperture a bit helps to.

You might need the flash to fill the dark sofa, butthen again maybe not. Trial and error works, and the film is free, so take more shots to get the right one.

Not too sure on the Enlarge mode thing.
Thon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2005, 4:24 PM   #8

:arrow:My C-740 exposes Ok nearly all the time - the 4 way buttons allow under and over exposure - but NOT in Auto. Try taking it out of Spot metering as suggessted, maybe try shootong in P or in one of the A or S modes (I use Apperture most of the time). I don't use the enlarged size - though I have tried it but thought there was no real gain to be found. My experiment was limited though so I may try again. the only time I have had over exposure was flipping into 'My Mode' while taking 2mp pics - as I had My mode set on SHQ for some reason it went too bright for one pic - so I aborted and switched back - after that I haven't had that problem. I set my contrast down to -4 and the sharpness -1 or -2 - this smooths things up a little. For a shot like yours you would need to play with the compensation until you get it how you want it.

I hope you sort things out - it's a great camera with a lot of additional controls, and takes a pretty good photo as well.

All the best

Geoff
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2005, 7:00 AM   #9

Hi to EOS, Thon & Geoff. I didn't have my "watch topic" box checked, so I'm a little late in replying. :?

Anyway, thanks for all the tips. Now to experiment.

Barry
Old Feb 12, 2005, 1:59 PM   #10

Barry Katcher wrote:
Quote:
Hi to EOS, Thon & Geoff. I didn't have my "watch topic" box checked, so I'm a little late in replying. :?

Anyway, thanks for all the tips. Now to experiment.

Barry
You are very welcome - I'm always happy to share notes/experiences. If I can ever help I will.

Keep taking the pics!!

Geoff

(C-740 & TBA) Get the Picture
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote