Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 29, 2005, 4:31 PM   #1

I have just purchased a C-8080 digital camera. I am using both a CF and a xD card.

I have just finished my first set of test shots, using both cards.

Downloading to the computer there was no problem with the xD card but it would not switch to the CF to download those images. I used the external button.......am I doing something silly here? Should I be going into a menu to do the switch?

The images I have seen, together with the general feel of the camera I must say I am delighted with my purchase. Top marks to Olympus.
deskinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 30, 2005, 5:46 AM   #2

I have found that on my 5050 I have to unplug the lead to the computer, then press the button to change cards, then re-connect to the computer. Could be the same on the 8080.

Cheers

Ray
Percyprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:27 AM   #3

Yeah I've got the Olympus 5050z and have found a similar trend. You have toremove the cable, press the cf/xd button to change your card which its viewing,re-insert the cableand then download from your other card.I can only assume that the cable somehow inhibits the use of the card change button. I guess they've carried it through to the 8080z as well.

I found it easier just to buy a multicard reader, it also saves on the ware and tear on the cable port...
Eggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2005, 7:56 AM   #4

Thank you bothfor your help in this matter, I must admit I hadn't tried what you suggested simply becauseit is advised by Olympus not to connect or disconnect when camera is switched on. I'll certainly try it now....Thanks again.
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:07 AM   #5

deskinsman wrote:
Quote:
Thank you bothfor your help in this matter, I must admit I hadn't tried what you suggested simply becauseit is advised by Olympus not to connect or disconnect when camera is switched on. I'll certainly try it now....Thanks again.
Well when I first got my camera I did that but switching off, removing the cable, switching on, pressing the change card button, switching off, inserting cable and then restarting takes a fair bit of time! I soon found you can just remove the cable (I know its not ideal but hey it should be a quicker starting camera ;-) ).

Using a card reader is the best option tho... 8)
Old Jan 30, 2005, 10:15 AM   #6

I have successfully downloaded from both cards now and it has worked fine. But I take your point....a reader is probablythe best idea. I know you handle the card more, by putting it in and out.......which is the lesser of the two evils?
Old Jan 30, 2005, 11:42 AM   #7

Well I guess replacing a card is a hell of a lot more cheaper than replacing a damaged cable connection on your camera. :-)

But I havent ever encountered a card thats become corrupted by using a card reader.

Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:39 PM   #8

I highly recommend that you power down before unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable.
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2005, 12:56 PM   #9

jkusmier wrote:
Quote:
I highly recommend that you power down before unplugging and re-plugging the USB cable.
I agree completely with your concern. That means then I can't switch over to theCF card because the camera always defaults to the xD card. Therefore I can only download theCF via a reader. I wonder if the camera defaults to theCF if I take out the xD card...it probably will. Bit of an oversight I reckon...pity about that.
Old Jan 31, 2005, 1:10 PM   #10

deskinsman wrote:
Quote:
I agree completely with your concern. That means then I can't switch over to theCF card because the camera always defaults to the xD card. Therefore I can only download theCF via a reader. I wonder if the camera defaults to theCF if I take out the xD card...it probably will. Bit of an oversight I reckon...pity about that.
Strange... unless its a new feature on the 8080 :O. When I go to view my images my 5050 it defaults to the last used memory card (and I often have an xD and a CF card in the camera). I used to select view images, select my card, then switch off the camera and insert the cable, but I never had that problem. Try taking the xD card out and thenviewing.