Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jan 30, 2005, 6:22 PM   #1

Well today my fantastic C5050Z did some real wierd things. All of which can be traced to the mode control dial area. If you just put light to moderate pressure on the mode dial while the camera is on it cycles through shut down and restart. My thumb seems to rest near or on the dial while I'm shooting so you can see how many times this happens. I feel real bad about this as the camera has never seen any rough use. I should have kept my old C4040Z. I love the camera but this is a definite defect. Thank goodness it is still under warranty. We'll see how good Olympus's service is. Hope know one else has this problem, but be aware.
herbmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2005, 1:53 PM   #2

I have a C5050, and I had what I think was a similar problem. However, mine was not the mode dial but rather the on/off switch. Sometimes when I turned mine on it would simply cycle the lense in and out, but would not stop in the on position. Unfortunately, for me mine was out of warranty when this began. I returned the camera for service and paid a flat fee of $200.00+. Their response was fast about a week turnaround. I too believe there was a deffect in the camera as mine was well taken care of, so I am sure I did not cause the problem.
dthornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2005, 9:17 PM   #3

Olympus's service center was very fast, I got my camera back in about 2 weeks, but I feel this is a big defect in an otherwise great camera. I'm just a little gun shy now about using the mode dial. But I suppose after awhile I'll forget the issue. I just hope it doesn't reappear. While my camera was at Olympus they also repaced the memory card door switch. Sometimes the camera would just say "memory card door open" for no apperant reason. I sure hope this camera is done with it's issues because I have no plans, or money, to buy a new one. Hope your repair works out great for you....
herbmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 5:58 AM   #4

My brother experienced what sounds like the same problem with the mode dial of his C-5060. When it happened, he did a search and found that other C-5060 owners had experienced the same problem. I wasn't aware that it had occurred with the C-5050, also.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote