Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 18, 2002, 7:18 AM   #1

Default C-730UZ switches on and off by itlsef when using 4 AA cells

Decided to move up from a Kodak DC290, so I did the research read the revies here etc, and purchased the C-730, nice camera great pictures lots of features, BUT they spoilt all that design effort with a sub standard battery compartment, the C-730 can use a lithium CR-V3 battery or 4 AA cells, well not really as it turns out. The battery cover does NOT properly hold the 4 AA cells. Using 4 AA cells if one gently taps underneath the camera on the battery door, the camera shuts down, re-starts and all your setting s are gone, it even does this while it's in the case and loses the date and time, come to download your pictures and the date and time have been reset and your files are the same number as the last lot. I have tried 3 different brand new C-730 they all go crazy if 4 AA cells are installed and you give it even the gentlest shock, I do NOT recomend this camera, great camera stuffed by a design that is really meant for CR-V3 battery not AA cells, the springs under the battery are a very soft leaf, not a spring and the battery cover completes the circuit for the AA cells add to that the fact that an AA cell is much shorter than the CR-V3 battery and you have an absolute stuff up of the first order, don't take my word for it try it yourself, just install 4 AA cells in any C-730 turn it on, tap on the battery cover with the knuckle of your finger, a very gentle tap and you will see the UNBELIABLE system Olympus designed. Has anyone else found a solution to this problem? I have contacted the dealer and I am waiting for a response from Olympus. I don't have a FAULTY C-730 since they are all the same and they all do it if my C-730 is faulty, they are all faulty.
Joe in Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2002, 12:44 PM   #2
lg

There's something about the tabs on some AA's that Olympus cameras may not like. Check with Thomas Distributing for more information on AA batteries.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 12:56 PM   #3

Default 730 Battery problem

Joe- I have had three Olympus camera's that all had CR-3V batteries including the new 730. I have used standard AA alkaline and rechargeable Ni-MH's. I didn't even realize that the AA's were shorter than CRV3's! But I see they are. There seems to be plenty of spring travel to compensate for this. I have never had the problem you are stateing or ever heard of this problem on the forums! Perhaps there is something peculiar with the AA's you are using? Something is wierd if you have tried three different camera's! Try a different set of AA's. I always keep a set of Duracell Ultra Alkalines in my case for an emergency in case I run out of rechargables. They have always worked fine.
Good luck with your problem, Bob
Bob W R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 1:27 PM   #4

There used to be (many years ago) a problem with rechargeable batteries (too short) but nowadays that problem seems to have been addressed. I have 3 different makes of NIMHs, hahnel, Uniross and Casio and all are ok.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 4:18 PM   #5

Thank you for all the suggestions, I have been back to the dealer I purchased the C-730 from, and we tried all sorts of batteries including the ones the dealer uses, it is NOT to do with a rechargeable that is shorter than normal, all standard size AA batteries do the same thing, all brand new [never used before out of the box NEW!] C-730 cameras we tried if held ready to shoot are taped gently on the bottom of the battery door turn themsleves off there is a clicking sound inside the camera and the red led flashes all screens go balnk, the lens does not retract and after a couple of seconds the camera [they all do exactly the same thing] comes back on again, what concerns me is that this is the same effect as if the power is suddenly removed, the Olympus manual says " Do not remove or load batteries and/or disconnect the AC adapter while the camera is turned on. Doing so could damage the camera's settings or functions" so when this happens is the camera exposed to damage, and what happens if this occurs while the camera is storing images, can all the images be corrupted, is any permanent damage caused to the camera?
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:50 PM   #6

Thanks for all the helpful advice, I have resigend from my INVOLUNTARY position as Olympus quality control, I no longer own a C-730, I returned it for a full refund, the response from Olympus "the rep is out in the bush and he is playing with his C-730", ah well perhaps the C-740 or the C-750 will actually function with 44 AA cells.
Old Nov 18, 2002, 11:08 PM   #7

Sorry about your troubles, Joe. One user at dpreview (link below) confirms your story, not only for the C-730 but also the C-3030. He also says it's never caused him any trouble, but I can see your concern. Good luck!

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3797705
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 5:09 PM   #8

A follow-up sent to me by sc:

"I have just returned from my local camera shop. This is a CAMERA shop, not Sams, or an Office shop of some kind. I presented the potential problem to two of the staff there. They load batteries and a card into a new camera, took pictures and soundly thumped the heck out of the camera. It did not give one problem. No on/offs, no power downs, no lost pictures.

I did note that one of the reviews came from a gentleman from Australia, and another (from another forum) I believe from his language style was from Britain. The man at my camera shop said that there are often European productions of cameras of the same make and number that we receive here and that they are sometimes slightly different cameras.

Another possibility is the difference in European vs. American batteries. That was my suggestion not the camera man's.

So there is my little bit of research and knowledge from a camera expert. I hope it puts your mind to rest. It has helped me make my decision. I will now begin shopping for the best price."

That's encouraging. A few folks now at dpreview have confirmed the "tapping" phenomenon in their C-730s and other Olympus cameras, but so far no one besides Joe has had any trouble with it in practice (some of the other cameras have been in use for some time). Still, it's an issue to be aware of.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 12:28 AM   #9

I'm in America and I'm able to reproduce Joe's results, but I don't see where it's going to be a problem in normal shooting situations. Been using it for three weeks now, hiking and stuff, and I was completely unaware of what Joe described until I did his "procedure." When he said hitting it lightly with a knuckle, that's right, cuz you have to bash it pretty hard with just a finger. Also, it did not affect any of the existing pictures on the card. I think that for the camera to be sustaining that kinda blow out in the field, I'd be more worried about damage to the lens/body/etc. Just my 2 cents.
ShortBusCandid8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2002, 2:06 PM   #10

To be honest, I haven't heard of this problem until now and don't have this problem with my C-700...you'd think that if the C-730 has this problem the C-720 and the C-700 would have the same problem as it's the same design. It has yet to be brought up in the Oly_C-700 group (although I'll be asking out of interest referring to this message).

Personally, I think it's a user fault created by DROPPING the batteries into the slot rather than gently placing them...I bought an as-is flash once for $20 that had this fault, I've been treating it properly after I adjusted the battery contacts and had no problem in the years I've been using it!

The Oly_C-700 group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote