Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:16 PM   #1

Default OLYMPUS E-10 OR CANON G-3

I am going to buy my first digital camera, and am an avid photographer. I want to have control, however I often use my camera point and shoot style with my young daughter, whom waits for no camera! I am considering the new Canon G3, but interestingly the Olympus E-10 is now not far off in price ($900 @ Fry's). Anyone have opinions or ideas as to which might be the better camera to purchase? I must do something in the next month. Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge. M-Girl
mgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:35 PM   #2

Have you consider the Olympus C5050. It is the 5mp that Olympus has just released. It is selling for $800.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2002, 10:58 PM   #3

I haven't thought as much about the C5050. I think that zoom (4X) is more important for me than pixels. I think 4 Mpixels will meet my needs for photo size and require less storage. From what little I know, the Canon has a wonderful interface, software and excellent image quality (what I am looking for is image!!!!). An SLR with same 4X zoom and 4 Mpixels seems alluring. I have a friend that LOVES Olympus. I am a little concerned that the E 10 technology is so much older, but I really don't know if it matters. I suspect that the Canon may be a bit faster, which might be important for my application. All in all, I am so afraid to just plunk down the money and be stuck with something I am unhappy with. HELP! M-girl
Old Nov 19, 2002, 7:57 AM   #4

I would recommend that you try a Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. You can purchase your camera and if unhappy return the camera. You need to check with each of them about their return policy. I am a Olympus fan and have purchased five different models over the years. I still own the C3000 and the C4040. You can check with one of your friends and use their camera to determine which camera you may prefer.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2002, 9:27 PM   #5

I picked up a c-2100 a few months ago, and even though it is a older camera. I am more then happy with it :P
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 2:57 AM   #6

Do you need manual controls at your finger tips as opposed to accessing them through menus, manual focus (fly-by-wire) that is more intuitive than pressing buttons, a real mechanical zoom as opposed to electronic (which is slower and not as responsive as turning the zoom barrel yourself), and finally, TTL viewfinder (no paralax error or slow EVF)? These are the advantages of the E-10. But it is about two years old and the G3 certainly has newer technology. My father uses a G1 and makes good use of the twisting/swiveling LCD screen The E-10 has a tilting LCD screen but is not as versatile as the G1/2/3. Try both cameras in a store to see how you like them. Also the E-10 may give you flatter looking images than the G3, sometimes requiring some post processing to bring out the colors that you want. I'd suggest also looking at reviews of both cameras to examine sample images. A review of the G3 is available at http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...iew/index.html You can check Steve's review of the E-10 or from other sites as well. Whichever camera you finally settle on I hope you enjoy it
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 12:21 PM   #7

all the comments above are valid but in the end, for very similar cameras it should come to feel. Remember you'll use it quite a bit. I absolutely love my olympus 3000 for its feel (its the closest thing to my beloved leica m6). The G3 if found a little skimpy on the handgrip. At the sme time, the E10 is bulky but feels great holding it.
Keep in mind though this about zoom range: a 5mp image, cropped to the resolution of a 4mp one will create the equivelant of an image zoomed by about 125%. In the real world, a 3X 5mp camera will produce roughly the same image as a 4X 4mp one. Same thing right? yes except a very important item: a 3
x zoom is almost allways faster than a 4X one.
By the way, the barrel and perspective distortion of a longer lens is identical to the equally cropped centre of a wider one, so the image will not change.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 1:02 PM   #8

Thank you for this information. I am not sure I understand it, but I am going to think about. If you can clarify the zoom versus pixels I would appreciate it. I will take your advice and try the cameras in my hand this week (if I can find a G3). M-Girl

quote="geof"]all the comments above are valid but in the end, for very similar cameras it should come to feel. Remember you'll use it quite a bit. I absolutely love my olympus 3000 for its feel (its the closest thing to my beloved leica m6). The G3 if found a little skimpy on the handgrip. At the sme time, the E10 is bulky but feels great holding it.
Keep in mind though this about zoom range: a 5mp image, cropped to the resolution of a 4mp one will create the equivelant of an image zoomed by about 125%. In the real world, a 3X 5mp camera will produce roughly the same image as a 4X 4mp one. Same thing right? yes except a very important item: a 3
x zoom is almost allways faster than a 4X one.
By the way, the barrel and perspective distortion of a longer lens is identical to the equally cropped centre of a wider one, so the image will not change.[/quote]