Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 5, 2005, 1:48 PM   #1

What should my ISO should set on a bright sunny day? Also what about a cloudy day with no sun? Or what are the best modes for these days?
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2005, 2:50 PM   #2

I feel you should put it on auto and leave it there, concentrate on pointing your camera in the right direction. and then I'm sure you will get some great pics.
deskinsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 5:36 PM   #3

Both of those situations are characterized by bright light (unless it's extremely overcast and dark, like in a storm), and you should be able to use ISO of 100 (or lower if your camera supports it). In general, you'll want to use the lowest ISO setting you can still get a good exposure with, because it will result in less noise.

RH
R_Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2005, 10:50 PM   #4

In general, I would certainly agree with the above. But to add a bit -- it's true that you should use as low an ISO as you can. However, what ISO you actually use is dependant on what shutter speeds or apertures you are trying to achieve. In regular program mode, your camera will most likely try to stay around ISO 100 and boost or decrease depending on light levels. If your camera has "sports" setting, then it will most likely adjust ISO just high enough to get higher shutter speeds automatically. IOW, your camera will know what to do in most cases, as long as you select the correct shooting mode.

However, you may occasionally need to select your own ISO if the camera can't figure out a satisfactory setting for a particular situation. Boost the ISO if you need to ensure that you are getting the highest shutter speeds or smallest apertures you can, and decrease ISO if you need to ensure the opposite.

PhilR.
PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote