Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:41 AM   #1

Default Newbie with E-20 Question

Just bought an E-20 with an IBM MD. The manual warns about the sensitivity of the MD to shock and vibration, and the high power consumption. Would it be a good strategy to select the SM card and store pix on it until it's full, and then transfer to the MD? That way, the MD would only be powered during the transfer, which would reduce power consumption, and (I hope) reduce risk of failure if the camera gets bumped.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:51 PM   #2

8) Sounds like a pain to me. When I had my E20, I returned my MD after I discovered how fast it drained the battery.

How about a Digital Wallet with CF or SM (or is it SC) or how about a battery pack? I use the Digital Wallet myself anyway. It's great.

Bob
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 11:36 AM   #3

I agree with nochance, storing everything to SM then transfering to the MD is a pain. The MD is not that fragile, but it's not as robust as solid state memory. What you could do is get a set of high capacity NiMH batteries, like the 1800mAh and newer, or a battery pack. I just purchased the Digipower DPS-9000 for my E-10 (the E-20 is supposed to have better power management). Here's a review of the battery pack if it interests you:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS...00/DPS9000.HTM

Should provide enough juice to power the E-10/20 with or without a microdrive Btw, that pack is rated at 7.2V and 1800mAh.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 3:34 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts. I called Oly Tech Support this morning. The guy told me that the MD is spun up whenever the CF slot is selected, which means it's eating up the battery, and it's vulnerable to shock/vibration. He said most people just use it for storage, transferring files to it when the SM card is full. I tried it, and it doesn't take that long. I'm using SHQ JPEG quality, so a 128MB SM only holds 33 images.
marokero...Thanks for the website on the battery pack.
I have the Power Battery unit and two of the Lithium Polymer batteries which have a lot more capacity than the AAs. I'm not as concerned about battery life as I am about crashing the head if I bump the camera when it's spinning.
Thanks again for your help.
Bert
Old Nov 22, 2002, 4:51 PM   #5

Glad I could be of help! You didn't say you had the LiPO I've never used a microdrive on my E-10, only compactflash, so I'm not much help regarding MD's. But 256MB CF's are dropping in price, you could probably find a decent one for as much as that battery pack goes for That way you're not limited to the 128MB smartmedia and won't need to transfer files from SM to CF.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 9:30 PM   #6

8) Bert, interesting info.

I'm still kicking myself for selling my E20. I wish I had it back. By the way, if you haven't discovered it yet, if you put that camera on a tripod, or otherwise shoot without your eye to the finder, you've got to shut the viewfinder curtain. Since it has a beamsplitter instead of a mirror, any light into the finder will wreck your pictures. I learned that by messing up 4 day's worth of shooting in the Arizona/New Mexico desert. I rescued them enough in photoshop to use for slide shows, but definitely not for enlarging.

Enjoy.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2002, 1:40 PM   #7

Alberto,
I have a Nikon CP 950 also, with CF cards. I can buy 256 MB CF's for about $75. 128 MB CF or SM cards are almost exactly half that, so the $$$/MB is the same. I don't mind changing cards, and I got a neat little SM card carrier with the camera, which I bought used from a friend. He sold me the whole setup, FL-40 flash and off-cam flash bracket with portrait grip, Power Battery with two LiPO's. UV filter/hood and four 128MB SM's, plus the IBM MD! I'm all set up to do weddings! (NOT!)
Bert
Old Nov 23, 2002, 1:49 PM   #8

Bob,
I've just had the camera a couple weeks, but I love it. Even with the Power Battery on the bottom, it handles very well, and the controls and menus are very straightforward. I've spent a LOT of time reading the manuals...both for the camera and for the FL-40 flash. That's the best flash unit I have ever used. I'm learning to do bounce with it.
I read about that little curtain for the eyepiece, and I see how it works. I doubt if I will need it much. I prefer the viewfinder. That's why I bought the E-20. Many years ago, I owned SLR film cameras...long story, but I got burned out on all the darkroom chores and quit photography for nearly twenty years! I was a software designer before I retired, so I'm obviously very comfortable with computers, so when digital photography finally matured, it was a natural for me, and my interest in photography reawakened. I bought a Nikon CP 950 about three years ago, and it's a nice little camera, but I missed the TTL viewfinder of my old SLR's. The E-20 is the answer, at least for now. I was considering a D100, but it would have been a lot more money by the time I bought the lenses. I think the 4X zoom will obviate the need for interchangeable lenses. We'll see.
Bert