Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 20, 2002, 2:07 PM   #1

Default Doing battle with the jaggies

Hi,
I thought I would try setting my camera (c4000z) to 640 X 480 and monitor to the same. Was expecting to get nice clean and snappy looking results, but still the jaggies haunt me. How do people whose pictures I see all over the net get to have such nice looking 640x 480 pics that are also small in size. Maybe less than 30k. Is it better to use a 2 megapixel camera or what??
For example the following, which has not been shrunk in size.

http://www.hereat.freeserve.co.uk/garden.jpg

Thanks all,

David
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2002, 2:52 PM   #2

I tried the link but it failed.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 3:03 PM   #3

Sorry, for whatever reason my isp ftp server had deleted the file. I uploaded it again and hope it sticks this time. ops:

David
Old Nov 20, 2002, 11:45 PM   #4

That's strange... I thought all Olympus cameras, from ~2 years ago to present day, had True-Pic technology built-in. True-pic is supposed to capture all images at full resolution then downsize it to the selected lower resolution. The aliasing, or jagged look on angled lines, only occurs at certaing angles in your image. At or around 45 degrees things look good, but around 15-30 and 60-75 degrees the aliasing becomes visible. Try shooting at full resolution and then downsize it to 640x480 to see if it makes a difference.

Also, the image size is dependant on the ammount of colors displayed in an image. For example, a totaly black or totally white 640x480 image will have a very small file size, 2-3KB. But if you add a few colors to it the file size can jump to 20-40KB! Usually a colorful 640x480 image with low-medium compression will look pretty good, few jpg artifacts, and have a file size anywhere from 60-140KB. If you add more compression the file size will go down but the image quality will degrade, as in more jpg artifacts. Hope my babbling had something useful to you :lol:
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 7:55 AM   #5

Thanks for the above marokero.
I tried what you suggested. I took the same pic at 2288x1712 shq and resampled at 640x480 there are 3. first is304kb at 100%, second 57kb at 55% and third was 48kb at 40%.

http://www.hereat.freeserve.co.uk/workmen2.jpg
http://www.hereat.freeserve.co.uk/workmen3.jpg
http://www.hereat.freeserve.co.uk/workmen4.jpg

setting were -3 contrast, default saturation and sharpness. No extra sharpness in software. So does this mean I need to take large pics to get small ones, so not many on a card then. In that case I'm not sure of the point of 640x480 being a setting in the camera if the result is so bad.
As I originally said, I have seen nice clear 640x480's at less than 30k on the net and do I need to use a 1 - 2megapixel camera to emulate these or is my camera the problem??

Thanks people,
Regards
David
Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:02 AM   #6

I always take my pictures at the full size with my C-2100. Then I do a little touch up with camedia. And finally I resize them using irfanview.

If for some reason I need to fit more pictures on the card, I will change the image size and quality. But most of the time with a 64mb card this isn't a issue for me. Also to get the 30kb picture, once you resize it, you can lower the quality, I tend to save mine at 75% with no noticable lose
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2002, 8:26 PM   #7

Thanks midacl,
But, if you see my pics above. Resampled to 640x480 even at 40% compression it is 48k and looks like it was paint by numbers rather than a photo taken with a 400 camera. For that matter, even at shq they look as bad, not clear, and sharpening just gives jaggies and increases the file size drastically. I think I have just got a dud camera, perhaps. The focus also seems a problem, as with some others on the forum, compared to some posts that give excellent results, which seem to survive well regarding jaggies when resampled by myself in comparison to the camera I have.

God bless,
David
Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:31 PM   #8

I tend to save most of my pics at around 100k, and they turn out great.

I have a sample pic here, its 101.03kb at 800x600
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 4:06 PM   #9

Nice pic.
I agree, saving at about 100k gives better results. I find that the pictures taken by people who have a c4000z which is giving good sharpness at the default setting can be resampled, sharpened more and saved with a fair amount of compression, by myself, and still show much less deterioration than my own.
I have to either set the sharpness at +5 and apply some extra sharpening in software. Or set the camera softer and do a lot of extra sharpening. Either will give equally poor resamples in comparison to pics posted by others here.
I use IrfanView. It has been recommended by several people here.

David