Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 20, 2002, 5:51 PM   #1

Default Neon green spots . . .

I have an D-510 zoom, 2 MP, and I'm thinking of gettin a new 4 or 5 MP cam cause I can't fix this. The spots come out on the exact same spots on every pic. Olympus wants at least 150 to repair it since it's not under warranty. I put in a different card and it still came out so I'm thinking maybe the lens, i have cleaned it though, and nothing.
goldenchld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2002, 6:26 PM   #2

I believe it is your CCD. Here is the definition from Steve's Digital Dictionary: "CCD - Charged Coupled Device, a light sensitive chip used for image gathering. In their normal condition these are grey scale devices. To create color a color pattern is laid down on the sensor pixels, using a RGBG color mask (Red, Green, Blue, and Green) The extra Green is used to create contrast in the image. The CCD Pixels gather the color from the light and pass it to the shift register for storage. CCDs are analog sensors, the digitizing happens when the electrons are passed through the A to D converter. The A to D converter converts the analog signal to a digital file or signal. "
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2002, 10:47 PM   #3

Here are two examples . . .
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...1/fd05a75d.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...4/fd05a75c.jpg
Old Nov 21, 2002, 7:52 AM   #4

It appears that the ccd is starting to go. It is very possible that you may not see any more deterotation than what you have now. It would be a good reason for me to tell the wife --- Honey, I need that new camera.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 4:24 PM   #5

Lol, yeah, I'll tell my mom, only 16
But yeah, i'm looking at the Olympus C-4000 or Nikon CoolPix 4300.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 4:27 PM   #6

Just in time for Christmas.
Old Nov 27, 2002, 12:38 PM   #7

Default Re: Neon green spots . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchld
I have an D-510 zoom, 2 MP, and I'm thinking of gettin a new 4 or 5 MP cam cause I can't fix this. The spots come out on the exact same spots on every pic. Olympus wants at least 150 to repair it since it's not under warranty. I put in a different card and it still came out so I'm thinking maybe the lens, i have cleaned it though, and nothing.
They are "hot pixels". Hot pixels are pixels on the CCD that are always "on". Nikon 950's were notorious for this problem. They are usually most noticeable in dark areas of your photographs and in the case of Nikons would come and go depending on the aperture and shutter speed. The fix was to send the camera back to Nikon and they would "map" them out. To extend the life of your camera, you can just map them out yourself using post imaging S/W. Of course you wouldn't need that new camera.....

Laserjock
Laserjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2002, 6:24 PM   #8

New model Olympus cameras (like the C-730) have image maping built in so the owner can do it without having to send the camera back to Olympus.

Now if only Olympus had a flashrom upgrade so those features can be added to older cameras.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote