Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 21, 2002, 6:06 PM   #1

Default C730 Battery Problems

I read the posts regarding the "loose" AA batteries in the 730 battery compartment. I didn't think there was a problem and posted a reply in that regard!
Then after thinking about it, I have had the "auto" image numbering go "coo coo" and start the numbering sequence all over again. And also some settings revert to default!
I carefully checked out the batteries and the AA's just barely have spring tension against them.
I think when you install the longer CR-V3's, it smashes the lower spring contacts down so when you install the shorter AA's, they barely make it!
I am leaving Monday for Hawaii and didn't want any problems with the camera so I did the following "Fix".
I removed the AA's. Then took a hooked dentist tool and carefully lifted each spring contact (4) located in the bottom of the battery compartment. After doing this, It was apparent that the batteries had lot more force on them when closing the compartment door.
I will not put the CR-V3's back in the camera so the springs will stay at the new height. Be carfull, the springs look fragile! Bob R.
Bob W R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2002, 2:53 PM   #2

Default Re: C730 Battery Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob W R
I have had the "auto" image numbering go "coo coo" and start the numbering sequence all over again. And also some settings revert to default!
Well, if you power the camera on in AUTO mode, that does reset the camera. Also, if you have the factory default numbering system, the counter will reset when you change cards. After changing the setting, and not powering up in AUTO mode, I've had no problems with my C-7x0.

As I said, if there was a problem with the C-730's battery compartment, we'd seen it long ago with the first C-700 as it's the same design.

Also, when I used a C-730 at a camera show, I didn't have the battery problem with it.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 12:06 AM   #3

Default File numbering

Mike, Thanks for the reply. I have the file name set to "Auto" not the default, "reset". Will the file number reset anyway if you power up in "auto"? Some times it resets and sometimes it doesn't! This may explain it! I like consecutive numbering because I have other pictures in file that were taken a year ago and have to change the image numbers once in while when filing new ones! I also use two different Olympus Cameras on the same date and the images will conflict if I transfer them to the same folder. Thanks again, Bob
Bob W R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2002, 4:42 PM   #4

Default C730 Battery problems

Having just bought a new 730 I have found the same problem with it going off when the middle of the battery cover is tapped, although I have never fitted the CR-3 disposable batteries . The Ni-MH batteries are 2mm shorter than the CR-3's, plus a pair of them weigh 55g, compared with 40g for the CR-3. I think that the inertia imparted with the tap, causes momentry loss of contact.
I have measured several sets of the AA's & different makes, they are all the same length ;ie 2mm shorter than the CR-3's. I have tried new stock units @ the local Oly dealers, they also exhibit the same fault; & @ present I'm awaiting a reply from Olympus here in the UK. I will report there comments as & when they reply.
Cryo is offline   Reply With Quote