Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 12, 2005, 3:26 PM   #1

Hi,

My Olympus C-720UZ recently malfunctioned. It was able to power up properly via the AC adapter, but it wouldnot power up from DC (batteries). I tried two different sets of NiMh batteries and two different sets of alkaline batteries, but with no success. At the suggestion of the Olympus tech. I let the camera sit without batteries for 24 hours and tried again,but the problem wouldn't resolve.

I sent the camera in for repair and just got a note back saying it will be $161.63 to repair and return. They don't indicate what's wrong with it. From reading theses forums I see that they do things on a flat-rate regardless of the needed repair.

I'm a bit miffed that my 2 Y.O. camera, now out of warranty, is exhibiting a problem that seems to relate to quality and craftsmanship, AND that Olympus wants to charge so much to repair it. I'm thinking I'd be better off buying a new camera and on principal alone it won't be from Olympus.

Anyway, can anyone let me know if they have heard of similar problems and how they resolved it. If I can demonstarte to Olympus that this is some kind of pattern defect, I might be able to get it repaired for less or even for nothing.

Thanks,

Tony
PLUTINO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 2:58 PM   #2

I have sent a personal reply - but so others can read - I would buy the C-740 as it is SO cheap. It is also better than the 720 in most areas.
I am not aware of any real Olympus problems generally mine has been absolutely brilliant.
geoff
Geoff Chandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 9:30 PM   #3

I have been having a similar problem with my C-750, but mine is still under warranty. I have had to send it in twice in the past month because it will not power up. I just got it back Friday, and it has stopped working already. I am getting so frustrated with the company. They better send me a new camera this time, It costs me $15.00 for postage each time I send it in, not to mention the time and trouble to keep packing it up.
trustmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:52 PM   #4

Tony, I have the same problem with Olympus D40C. Am furious about repair costs. Could this be a battery connection problem? Do you know anyway to clean the connections? Thanks, LYnn
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2005, 6:52 PM   #5

Tony, I have the same problem with Olympus D40C. Am furious about repair costs. Could this be a battery connection problem? Do you know anyway to clean the connections? Thanks, LYnn
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2005, 5:55 PM   #6

Hi, has anyone found a resolution for this problem. I'm having the same thing happen with my 2100uz. All new batteries but it dies after the first pic saying battery has no power. As some people can't even get theirs to turn on it is a bit odd. I opened mine up to have a snoop and there seems to be an additonal small watch type battery inside the camera. I am curious to think if they are charging flat rate 160 bucks for a battery change!! My thought is that this small battery may somehow manage settings or power management of the camera. Any thoughts from some techies?? I'm considering trying to pickup a similar battery but it is a strange one so not sure where I can get. I'll try to post a pic. It is clearly marked with a positive and negative so for sure a battery.
Attached Images

can8dn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2005, 5:35 AM   #7

hello,

i think this is not an battery.
it should be an goldcap capacitor.
normaly it's for buffering the date an timesetting
if you are changing the batteries of your cam.

look at this for example:
http://www.reichelt.de/index.html?SI...=3;GRUPPE=B318

regards
KR
KingRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2005, 4:27 PM   #8

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I completed ripping out the part and it turns out to be a Sanyo rechargeable battery ML1220-TT1. It has two soder tabs, one on each side for + - .

You are right though about it infact being the battery that controls the date/time functionality apparently of the camera.

I've sourced a new one from a place in Canada and its only 9.95 Canadian. I figure its worth a shot for that price. You never know.:?:

I'll let everyone know my findings once I replace the part. But, seeing as I found out that it does control the date functions. I doubt now this will help.

Cheers,
can8dn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2005, 8:52 PM   #9

Olympus finally sent me a replacement camera after my C-750 stopped working three times. They sent me a C755 (which I did not want, but they said they did not have any C 750 available). Well, the frigging C-755 also quit working after about a week. They say it must be something I am doing. All they can figure is that my A/C power adaptor is killing the camera. Now, I don't know if that is correct, but I would have thought they could have figured that out before the 4th time and told me so I did not keep using it. I sent back the brand new C755, and they are charging me $183.80 to fix it. I don't know what is wrong with it, and it is under warranty. I think this company is terrible. How can they charge me for a camera that is under warranty?

Do you think that my power adaptor could actually be the problem?

Thanks for any feedback.

trustmissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2005, 1:16 PM   #10

Hi

often this type of problem is caused by the power connector. The outer contact usually disconnects the battery when thepower adaptor is plugged in. If the spring gets weakfor what ever reason, when the plug is removed the contacts fail to make and no Battery power is restored. Sometimes you can detect this by pushing on the contact to see if it returns to a hard stop when the contact is remade.

Hope this helps
David Leaver is offline   Reply With Quote