Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 22, 2002, 5:58 PM   #1

Default Do airport security X ray's have an effect on Oly digital?

Hi, I had a malfunction on my D460 after my camera was scanned at the airports. This happened twice. Olympus fixed the camera on warranty. The service order indicated that they replaced the main circ. board. The camera worked fine, but was "on" Continuously! The camera would beep when I removed the mem. card (with the lens barrier closed) And the battery life was short.
I now have a 510 and a 7300 and I'm flying to Hawaii next week.
I would like to hand carry them through security, but I was not allowed to last time! It went through the scanner.
Has anyone had any experience in this situation?
I could pack them in a suitcase but I would rather have them in my carry-on. I'm not sure my problems were caused by the scanners! Thanks, Bob
Bob W R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2002, 6:24 PM   #2

FWIW, I just returned from Hawaii and had no problems with my C4040 or SM cards after they were scanned. I was aprehensive that my photos would get ruined, but they survived just fine. Note that you can remove the SM card from the camera and just put it in your pocket--it won't set off the metal detector.

Also note that the X-rays used for checked bags are MUCH stronger than the X-rays used for carry on luggage. Your best bet is to keep the camera in your carry on.

Enjoy your trip!
birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 8:09 PM   #3

Default Airport Security Correction

My camera is a C730, not 7300! Jitters on the keyboard, I guess! Bob
Old Nov 22, 2002, 8:49 PM   #4

I also flew from New York to Seatle to Bozeman, and back to New York the same way. On all airports my carry-on bags were scanned, the ones containing all my digital gear (E-10, CF's, laptop, batteries, etc). Had no problems at all And birdman is right, the luggage scanners are much stronger.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:57 PM   #5

Default Thanks for the info !

I guess my idea of packing the camera's in the luggage was not to good! My wife mentioned that she had read that LAX had new luggage scanners in operation now. Thanks for the information, I'll carry them with me. Bob
Old Nov 23, 2002, 3:15 PM   #6

The luggage hold of an airplane is VERY COLD, and it's not good for the camera to be that cold, and then suddenly warm up.

As well, moisture will condense on its surfaces (and inside) and as there's always power flowing through the camera it could damage it (I've heard stories from people living in the Northwest Territories and the Yukon (north part of Canada) who have turned on their PDAs and had them blow up with the cold.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote