Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:51 PM   #1

i am a complete moroon when it comes to all the iso and aperture i havent a clue what any of it means...im a photographer at heart but im trying to learn all the techniques which is very slow learning....i had the c4000 and loved it it took alot of great photos with it but i wanted more so i just got the c8080....ive played around with it and read the manuel and im still quite in the dark with it....i was wondering what is the best settings for concert photos? i do photos for a local band and i really need fast action shots but id like to keep the flash from taking away from the show lights...can anyone help? i know its probably irritating to those of you that are pros but i really want to learn...thanks
jade777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 12:08 PM   #2

Indoor w/o a flash? Get a tripod (who takes a tripod to a concert?) or forget about it. Even at ISO 400 you're going to get alot of camera shake due to the long shutters. Else, ISO 125-200 and use a flash. Always use max aperture, e.g. 2.4 at wide.

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 1:41 PM   #3

I think what you really need is a DSLR, tough to getthose type ofshots with the C8080 w/o flash at 400ISO. The best thing to do is play around in similar lighting conditions to try and work around if possible. I'm also a new owner of the C8080, and this is an awesome camera, but it has limitations, as do most digicams. Good Luck!
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 7:05 PM   #4

thanks for the advice jkusmier and fireman i have been playing with it since i wrote the post and it is coming around thanks for your replies! and i agree it is an awesome camera just takes learning it thats all i guess:G
jade777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:21 AM   #5

Shooting concerts with an 8080 will be marginal at best. I think the best way is to use the flash as "fill" and a slow shutter speed at wide apertures. This allows the stage lights to show and the flash does not overpower the subject. I have shot concerts for a picture agency for a hundred years almost. I would use Fuji 1600 slide film with no flash and very fast Nikon lenses. Many shots were done at f 1.4 and f 2. Most concerts no longer allow flash at all. First three songs and you are done. Unless you are hired to shoot the whole show or allowed to use flash on the first song only. I would practice with the 8080 on manual with flash dialed down some. Use a shutter speed around 1/15 and shoot wide open. That will vary as you zoom around but start with the lens at f 2.4 and it will stay wide open. If you like a bit of movement in the picture you can slow down to 1/8. The 8080 built in flash is anemic at best and a "real" flash will help. Anything is better than the 8080 built in. If you want to isolate a subject, you shoot at faster shutter speed at smaller aperture to make background go dark and keep stage lights from showing as much. You will have to move the focus point around also to keep the faces in focus when you shoot verticals. Or do the focus, hold shutter button 1/2 way down, re frame and shoot. This will take much practice but can be done. PM me and I will give you a link to a friend's site where she uses a similar Canon for live shots.
Rotab is offline   Reply With Quote