Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 15, 2005, 5:48 PM   #11

sorry I don't have a ruler on me, but it is not small. The zoom lens retracts all the way in when it is off. I'd say its a little bigger than a canon a85. compared to the olympus' you mentioned yes the lens is smaller but the body itself is wider and maybe a little taller.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...905&forum_id=7
posted some pics
Graben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2005, 10:11 PM   #12

Hi Graben, Isthe c5500easy to use ?Is there much shutter lag?Does the lcd gain up in low light? Thanks for your time and the pictures, it is greatly appreciated!
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 11:08 AM   #13

The camera is very easy to use, so far I have only used auto and the scene settings and they have turned out quite well. I'm not sure if it gains up in low light, in the dark all the menus are perfectly readable, but the picture is as light or as dark as I can see with own eyes. Sorry I'm a camera newby. Shutter lag is great I believe its the same as the c7000, 3/10s for unfocused, 1/10 for prefocused. This camera is essentially a c7000 with less pixels, no 640 movie mode and no raws.

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...7908#post27908
some other comments I made in another forum
Edit: Yes the lcd gains up in low light!
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:16 AM   #14

Hi,

I'm happy for you - you say you're a beginner? I don't think so - your photos are really good!

I want to order this camera too, so it would be very helpful if you could answer at some questions... asit seems you're the first of theNet to actually have this camera (and, boy, Isearched!)

1. Have you tested this camera in backlight? Could you photograph something with a very bright background (like a window, or a metallic object - perhaps a beer can before a window, and without flash)? I'd like to see if there is any purple fringing.

2. How good is the night exposure? If you want to test this, please stabilize the camera on something and make a >5 sec exposure at ISO 100 of whatever street by nigth. I'm very interested in seeing how pixelated is the image.

3. Could you photograph a good bunch of flowers - of different colors that is. It would help to see how well this camera is at rendering colors.

4. Finally, could you make a snap of the sky - preferably a blue one - above some buildings (if you find some with repetitive textures, it would be awesome)? It shows how well this camera renders large zones of uniform colors - and to see how bad or good is the noise level in the images.

I do hope you'll be very happy with this camera - and that it's as fast as it pretends to be. And post even more images, please!
blindshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 4:41 PM   #15

I'm uploading as we speak. will edit this with the link

I just added a night shot in basically pitch black, with a 15 second exposure
http://www.msu.edu/user/spanomar/c5500.html there you go!
Old Mar 18, 2005, 6:57 PM   #16

Hi Graben, is it possible to post a night shot picture taken at 400 iso please.

C-5500 seems to be a really good digital camera.

It looks like C-5500 will be my first digital camera too.

Thank you for your beautiful pictures.

bluelab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2005, 1:04 AM   #17

Just so you know I have been messing around with the colors, ie changing the levels in the gimp, a photo shop like program. And the results are much better then what I have posted. sure I can do one at iso 400 let me go outside right now.
Ok its up, just so you know this was done with a 4 second shutter speed on iso 400, the same picture looked much better with 15 second speed and iso 80, but you wanted iso 400 so thats what you got. Also I did not have noise reduction on at all! I'd rather reduce it with software. So I think it is quite usefull at iso 400.

Old Mar 19, 2005, 12:06 PM   #18

Hi Graben, It looks as if you are having alot of fun with you new camera. I would love to see your night time picture with the iso at 80. I really like the pictures of the ducks!Was that using your zoom?Do you feel that the performance is fast?( shutter lag minimal)Have you noticed red eye in any of your pictures? Are you happy with the color? and are you happy with the size of the camera? I thought that there was a movie mode on that model as it stated that there was image stabilization in movie mode. I noticed that you said that you worked for Circiut City...do you think that they will carry that model? You have helped me alot and I appreciate so much your time.You got a great deal on your camera.I've really enjoyed your pictures and hope that you will share more. Thanks again
bentleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:14 PM   #19

Hi Graben

Thanks for being the "guinea pig" and trying this camera out! It is so frustrating that no other users have posted anywhere (ie, Amazon, CNET, etc)

I looked long and hard at the Kodak 7440 and the Canon A95, since they tied for top honors in David Pogue's comparo in the NY Times. I also read reviews of other cameras for hours and hours...and in January was about ready to go with the A95 when I read the C-5500 was coming! I thought, this is it...a 5x optical in a still "manageable" size body, 5 megs, decent video, a supposedly fast processor and great Olympus build quality.

Your pictures are great...I'm no expert, but they are sharp and clean and for the most part noise is well controlled. The only "issue" I see--and this is purely subjective--is that colors are not quite as "vibrant" as the other cameras I've seen (although the Kodak has been criticized for overdoing color saturation just a bit, to please an "ignorant public") Add me to the ignorant public, I do like brighter color...but since I see that the Olympic's "color phase" can be adjusted, I'm wondering...what does that mean?

I would not have the patience to brighten each shot in Photoshop, I'd want to make a camera setting and forget it.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks again for all your good information.

GR
gregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2005, 10:47 AM   #20

Yep they weren't that accurate, I just changed saturation to +1 in the camera, and they look much better now. Also I think all the shots I took were overexposed as well. My new shots look much better than these.