Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 26, 2002, 10:17 AM   #11

Please don't think this is sarcasm, because it is not. Sometimes the obvious is easy to overlook. With a digital camera, if you are curious how changing a setting will affect the image, try it! Shoot two versions, one with, and one without. You can crop out a small section of each, and tile on the screen, side by side. Also, I have found that when comparing sharpening methods in Photoshop, it is best to work at 200%, as it easier to see what is going on as you tweak the settings. Last thing--you have a dream outfit! You won't need to "upgrade" for years to come.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 12:13 PM   #12

You are a lucky guy... I wish I had gotten such deal a while back
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 12:25 PM   #13

skiola,
You are right, of course. Sometimes the differences can be subtle, and not as noticeable on some pix as others. I thought I would see if anyone else had any experience with the SOFT sharpness setting, in particular. I must also admit that I just discovered this forum, and I wanted to get acquainted with the people here. I spend a lot of time on the Photoshop user forums, and have gotten to know quite a few people, including the guy I bought my E20 from! So...I was looking for a question to ask to start a discussion. Sorry if it was a dumb question.
EDIT: By the way I did exactly what you recommended to check out the effects of the UV filter. Took two identical pix in my backyard and blew up a small section to 400%. Conclusion: Color saturation was slightly better with the filter on, but there was a VERY SLIGHT loss in sharpness. I think I'll leave it on most of the time. It protects the lens from dust and scratches, and I like the built-in collapsible hood on it.
I'll do the same thing with the sharpness setting and report back here. Stay tuned.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 12:44 PM   #14

skiola,
Oh, one more thing. The books all recommend using 100% when doing sharpening. At 100%, you're looking at the actual pixels, not some upsampled or downsampled product of PS's image management.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 1:19 PM   #15

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people You don't seem to be dumb person, dumb persons don't ask questions and go thru life wondering why they broke something when they could've asked for help... Hey, I guess I fit that description sometimes! :lol:
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2002, 1:58 PM   #16

Alberto,
We all are guilty of that at one time or another. My wife is always bugging me to "read the manual" before I plunge into stuff.
As they say in the Photoshop forum, RTFM!!!!!