Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Feb 21, 2005, 11:57 AM   #1

The Olympus C-8080 has now been out for many months and should have gone through it's teething period - I've read reports in this forum of blurred images & focusing problems.

Having been thoroughly disappointed with the Minolta A200 & it's poor focus lock performance and the failure of the Nikon CP8800 to focus at infinity with Infinity Lock selected, I'm looking to the C-8080 as a possible upgrade to my Fuji S602.

Could I have feedback from you guys on how good or bad the C-8080 is particularly in respect of focus issues.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2005, 1:15 PM   #2

I suggest you search this forum for threads re: 8080 focusing issues. I haven't experienced any problems - camera achieves AF lock in very low light, though it takes some time. Many of the "blurred" pics discussed here weren't really blurred - the 8080's aperture is 2.4 at wide, which yields shallow DOF, which means part of the subject can be in focus and the rest appear to be out of focus. I don't think the 8080 is friendly to novices and think many of the complaints that have been posted are a result of that. You'll also find the compulsory complaints from people trying to take handheld pics at night, at shutter speeds of 4 seconds, who can't understand why the pics are blurry!
jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:28 PM   #3

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Having been thoroughly disappointed with the Minolta A200 & it's poor focus lock performance and the failure of the Nikon CP8800 to focus at infinity with Infinity Lock selected, I'm looking to the C-8080 as a possible upgrade to my Fuji S602.
Damn... sorry to hear this :O. I'd be interested in hearing any comments as well, especially after a respected forum member has been disappointed by a camera I was going to purchase. So it looks like I'm back looking at the 8080 again..
Eggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:52 PM   #4

had my 8080 for few days and quite pleased with it. i have hand held at 5x optical pictures are clear even hand held at its full digital zoom pictures are sharp . the pictures were taken in good day light. used all the modes like shutter,manul, and all the others does great. like jkusmier said hand held at night 4 secs you going to get bl;urry pictures. if i had to buy again it be this same camera.. i,ve ha two other digital besides the 8080
bherring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 10:39 AM   #5

I've had the C8080 for about a month, and I'm very impressed with it. This is my first digital camera, and did alot of research before going for the C8080. I've always been a hard core Nikon, and Fujichrome guy. Print out the manual at Staples like store, amazing the things this camera can do.
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 4:14 PM   #6

Sam's Club has this camera for $650. I did try it out at the store today and the focusing was much slower than my C5060. I see a lot of focusing issues on this camera.
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 4:54 AM   #7

Hi Catbells, Ive had the c8080 since March last year(04) and these are the things Ive noticed
Pros
Great macro in good lighting
Able to crop and "hold" resolution/clarity.
Middle distance phtography works well.
Colour excellent.
Sharpness excellent.
Manual controlls fun and worth the effort.
Able to take two diff. cards.
Rock solid build, I have dropped my camera on a tiled floor and a week later my camera bag got wet and the camera was covered in condensation, the c8080 is still working.
Cons
infinity focus unreliable, havent worked that one out yet.
weird focussing problems using the zoom at mid range,(sometimes) maybe, Im not using the camera correctly.
Camera behaves erratically in some light conditions?? once again it may be me.
Hope this helps but as I have often mentioned at these forums I dont think there is a perfect digital camera.
At this stage Im sticking with this camera, its a delight when the good shots come thru.

MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote