Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:03 PM   #21

The Fuji is a high quality product. If you check out the forums at dpreview.com, you'll find a very active Fuji contingent that won't hesitate to recommend it over other brands. It's very popular in Europe. The E-10 is an entirely different kind of camera, of course. It's plenty big. It has a great lens. It's slow in some ways, fast in others, and is more limited in what it can do than the Fuji or Minolta. But if your emphasis is on top quality for shots you can take your time to set up, and that don't require much zoom, it's a great choice. I've heard the E-20 isn't that much more costly.

If you can, call some local camera shops and find the Fuji, Minolta and Olympus, and try them out. I think you'll like the grip on the Fuji, by the way.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 10:04 PM   #22

I did that. So far, they say 'Get a 7i,' which I can't afford.
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 8:47 PM   #23

The 7i is available online from good stores fot around $700. The E-10 can't be much cheaper than that. The Fuji's about $500.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 1:21 AM   #24

Owlz,
I noticed your question about operating system compatibililty. For what it's worth, I'll give you my take on that.
I NEVER hook either of my cameras to my computers. Haven't since I bought SM and CF card readers. For me, it's just easier to pop the card out of the camera, into the reader, and plug it into the USB port...and bingo, it's another disk drive on the computer. Copy and paste the files wherever I want them, open Photoshop and I'm in business!
When I first got the Nikon, I used to plug it into the computer. It was a lot of fooling around, plugging in the AC adapter, hooking up, etc. It just seems so much easier and faster with the card readers. I have separate ones for CF and SM, but now you can buy a universal reader that handles them plus SD, Memory Sticks, etc. I saw one on sale in a local store for $15 the other day.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 12:37 PM   #25

Thanks, Bert. I'm getting closer. Now, I'm down to the C-3040 or the C-4040. I know it's a 1-megapixel difference, so I'll have to look at other differences.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 1:19 PM   #26

Owlz,
I'm not familiar with those two cameras, but my experience is that higher resolution doesn't buy you much unless the optics are also better. I guess what I'm trying to say is that 3 megapixels through a good lens in better than 4 megapixels through a not-so-good lens. And the other features...zoom range, user-friendly controls and menus, etc.....can also be important.
Another thing...if you don't print a lot of 8x10's (or larger), anything over about 3 megapixels is pretty much wasted, IMHO. Pix for the Web and Emailing will have to be downsampled anyway.
My advice, would be to get the best LENS you can afford!!!
A lot of the camera reviews (like dpreview.com) will give you comparative image data so you can evaluate lens performance.
That's what I used to make my camera-buying decisions.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 1:42 PM   #27

Yes
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 11:28 AM   #28

Default UPDATE: The deed is done!

After weeks (months?) of research, holding cameras to see if they 'felt right,' and many posts pleading for help (of which I received an abundance, thank you), it came down to money & timing. I wanted my new camera to arrive in time to use at Xmas, and I knew what I could afford and what were just pie-in-the-sky dreams, now relegated to 'sometime in the future, after I learn about taking great photographs,' which will entail quality time with the manual and putting the camera in full-manual mode from time to time.

Oh, you wanted to know what camera I ordered? I ordered my 'reference' camera, the one against which I compared all the others I was considering...the Olympus C-4000 Zoom. It should be here in three days.