Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 26, 2002, 4:51 PM   #1

Default Its a sad day for me (selling my E20)

I'm feeling very sad today as Ive just put my E20p up on EBAY.
I had hoped to keep the E20 as a backup, but lets be honest, an E20 shouldn't be a backup to any camera, that and I now need loads of dosh for lenses for my D100.
If I could give any advice to other E** owners it would be, Unless you are willing to spend thousands upon thousands keep your E**.
olympus-slr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2002, 10:57 PM   #2

I just bought a used E20 after agonizing over what to buy to upgrade from my Nikon CP 950. It's a nice little cam, but I wanted an SLR. I was considering a D100, but didin't want to make that kind of investment. Most people I know who buy them already have Nikon film cameras, so they don't need to buy lenses.
I also considered the Nikon CP 5700. While it isn't a true SLR, it has an EVF which looks thru the lens, and it has an 8x zoom lens which has gotten good reviews. But the opportunity to buy the E20 from a friend changed the priorities. I've only had it a couple weeks, but I love it! Very user friendly. And a GREAT lens.
I'm a happy camper. You will be with the D100 too. It's a great camera. And you'll be able to walk much more easily with a lighter wallet!
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2002, 2:37 PM   #3

Default Dont think youll regret it

Good luck with your E20 Bert, I don't think you'll regret the investment.
I just can't believe someone is going to get my E20 for a fraction of what I paid, yet it still looks like it did the day I bought it.
Just hope I've done the right thing, I know you did.
Regards
Lee.
Old Nov 28, 2002, 5:44 PM   #4

Oly,
I know someone who might be interested in your E20.
What are you asking for it, and what is included?
I notice that you say E20P. Is that the Euro video out version?
Old Nov 28, 2002, 9:51 PM   #5

I'm still kicking myself for selling my E20 months ago. It's a great camera, and now that I've had experience with 5 other digicams, I realize just how great. I wish I had it back. I sold it with FL40 flash for $750.
nochance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2002, 2:47 AM   #6

Bob,
If I had allowed myself to be influenced by the E20 review on dpreview, I probably would not have bought it. They were lukewarm...panned it for slow write-to-memory, chromatic aberration, noisy pixels, etc. They did admit the lens is great, build quality is Nikon-like, easy to use, etc. I read the pros and cons, and decided that the pros outwekghed the cons by a lot. One of the things I really like...that I didin't realize I missed from my film SLR days...is the manual mechanical zoom. I have a Nikon CP 950 also, with the motor-driven zoom. I much prefer the E20's mechanical zoom. I've only had it a about three weeks, and it feels as comfortable as an old shirt.
Old Nov 29, 2002, 12:23 PM   #7

Bert,
Yes my E20 is a euro version (Pal) output.
How do you find the lens on your E20, I wish i had one like it on my Nkon, not a cheap item at all.
Its probably as much as I'll get for my E20. (crazy).
Lee
Old Nov 29, 2002, 1:38 PM   #8

Lee,
DUH!!! If I had looked at your location, I would have known that it was a PAL camera. Wouldn't make much sense for a Yank to buy that, I'm afraid. Thanks for answering my DUMB question!
Re: E20 lens...I have no complaints. It seems very sharp, and if it has chromatic aberration, as the reviewers say, I can't see it with my old eyes. I think the 4x zoom will be sufficient for my needs, and it's fast enough...f2.0-2.8. I like the idea of not having to fool with interchangeable lenses...plus it means the CCD is sealed in and can't collect dust. The other thing I REALLY like about the E20, by the way, is that, although it is a true SLR, it has the beam splitter for the viewfinder, eliminating the need for the "clack-clack" mirror mechanism common to most SLR cameras.
Bert