Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 30, 2002, 12:24 PM   #1
tm3

Default Exx eye relief for glasses wearers?

i'm concerned by this comment in steve's review:

>The eyelevel viewfinder is large and bright with a clearly defined AF target mark and spot metering area in the center. The somewhat narrow viewing angle requires that you have your eye firmly up against the eycup.<

i wear glasses, and find it very hard to see the full image on certain cameras (oly om2 for example) -- so getting my eye "firmly against the eyecup" would be tough with glasses on. i can't find an Exx locally to check for myself so i hope someone can comment. fwiw the 717, 7i, and 5700 are fine for me with the 717 being the best so if anyone can compare to one of these it would be helpful.

thanks very much!
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2002, 3:00 PM   #2

This is the second person I have "ran into" in forums concerned about this topic so I thought I'd help. I don't wear glasses, but have an old pair of reading glasses that I dug out to test with (I'm not vain, I just don't NEED them.....honest).

The viewfinder on the EXX cameras are somewhat "tight"....you really have to be right in the sweet spot looking through them. It's annoying at first but soon becomes second nature (at least to me it did). With the glasses on I had no trouble getting into this sweet spot and I don't think you would either.

Larry
jl3comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 5:45 PM   #3

You can check this one from Hoodman:
http://www.hoodmanusa.com/SLR_Pro_Kit.asp

The E-10/20 viewfinder does require some getting used to. My father wears glasses, and when he looks through my E-10's viewfinder he adjusts the diopter and can see just fine. Of course, the diopter can only make near or far sighted corrections since what your eyes are focusing on is not the image from the lens, but on the surface of the ground glass of the viewfinder.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 7:29 AM   #4
tm3

thanks for the replies. i also posted at dpreview so i may be the only one concerned.

hopefully i can find an Exx to audition so i can see (no pun intended) for myself.
tm3 is offline   Reply With Quote