Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Nov 30, 2002, 2:18 PM   #1

Default C-730 auto power-off & optional remote control

First of all, apologies if these questions have already been covered, I did a search but could find the info anywhere. Nor have I ever seen the info in reviews or spec pages.

I am planning on getting an Olympus C-730 within the next month or so, it seems to offer everything I want as someone moving from a point-and-shoot digicam, a Fuji FinePix 2400z, who now wants to take a more control over my images with the advantage of the extra zoom.

I have a couple of questions though, and was hoping someone could answer them for me.
  1. Does this camera have an auto power-off facility? If so, how long is it before it turns the camera off, and can it be disabled in the menu? Nothing annoys me more than my current camera shutting itself down, losing my settings and lens position etc., while I am waiting for a shot.
  2. What is the maximum range of the optional remote control for the C-730, and does it need to be pointed at the front of the camera to work? Iíll probably get one of these anyway to avoid movement from pressing the shutter release in low light conditions, but if it has a long range itíll be handy for wildlife shots too, keeping scary old me away from the animals.
  3. Does the camera memorise your personal settings when the batteries are removed? If so, for how long? This is another thing that irritates me on my current camera.
Thanks for any help.

Ed
Eddie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2002, 2:56 PM   #2

I'll answer these based on other Olympus cameras...

1) (based on the C-700) you can set the sleep function for 30secs, 1min, 3min, 5min, 10min...you can't disable the sleep function.

2) Yes, the IR sensor is on the front of the camera, but you can bounce the remote light off walls or other bright surfaces. There's no information about distance away from the camera. Note that the camera doesn't activate right away...there's a 2 second delay.

3) You can set several "my modes" as well as power-up defaults (my favorite is to set the focal length to 50mm...the camera normally defaults to full wide angle). The manual says it loses settings within 1 hour of removing the batteries so there's plenty of time to change them...but you should keep a few sets of NiMh high-capacity rechargeables so your camera is never without a set in it. When I know I won't be using the camera for a while I'll put in lithium batteries due to their long life and they don't discharge on their own.

p.s. You may want to check out the Oly_C-700 Yahoo group where we talk about these issues and more about the C-730, C-700 and C-720 cameras:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2002, 3:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I can't wait to get this camera but it's looking like I'll have to wait until after the new year now.

I've actually just joined the Yahoo group you mentioned after seeing it mentioned in another thread. No doubt I'll be a regular there once I actually get the camera.
Old Nov 30, 2002, 11:42 PM   #4

I've since found out some more info about the remote, and here's what I wrote about it in the Oly_C-700 group about it:

Basically, you first have to select the remote control option with the drive button on the camera. Then you have to point the remote to the front of the camera and press the shutter button on the remote. The timer light will flash for aprox. 3 seconds and the camera will take the picture. The W and T are for zooming, the + and - are for when you are using the camera as a presentation device in play mode (like the advance and reverse on a slide projector). You can use the remote about 16 feet away from the camera, and 15 degrees off centre of the camera at 9.8 feet. In bright areas the remote will be less effective, especially if the bight light is directly in front of the camera or the remote.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 7:27 AM   #5

Thanks for the extra info, the r/c seems like it's not as usable as I initially thought. I'll probably get one anyway becuase they're not that much money, but now I'll leave it for a while and see how I get on without one first.