Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 10, 2005, 12:49 PM   #1
Cop

Hi guys, yet another stupid question.I`m also a model majing geek which is whyi brought the 8080 so that i could take close up shots of my work. Cockpits etc. My wife is the more knowledgable one of the partnership with regards cameras but she has her roots firmly placed in wet film.

Hencethis question for the gurus of the 8080. I`m trying take some close up shots of a cockpit thats nearing completion. I have the camera set to `M`and super macro MF. Its on a tripod and thereslots of lighting. ( 2 lamps )I canfocus on the subject no problem and take the shot. Butthe areasurrounding the focus piont is blurred.

like this shot for instance. The center upper panel was the focus point and is perfectly in focus. But the remainder of the cockpit is blurred.

[img]http://www.jpoole333.freeserve.co.uk/cp1blur.JPG[/img]

(and why is this only showing as a link & not a image very odd.)

How do I overcome this problem. And please keep it simple, I`m new to this game and slowly learning my way through.

Thanks. Cop

By the way took the camera away on honeymoon last week and it performed flawlessly, I`m very happy with it and realise that this problem is down to my lack of knowledge.

Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:18 PM   #2

Try setting your apeture to 8.0 to increase the depth of field. this should help. Glad you like the camera, it does take a lot of thinking/playing to get the camera to work how you want it to. Also you could try using the basic macro mode but using the highest quality/resolution possible and then just crop the part of the picture that you want. hope this works for you.
MVASteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:21 PM   #3
Cop

Got it sorted its the aperture setting that I had to fiddle with. The manual is now printed out and being studied. Damn thing adds £25to the purchase price of the camera as i now need a new ink cartridge. They really should supply a hard copy as standard. Cheap skates.

Cop

Old Mar 10, 2005, 9:32 PM   #4

Quote:
cheapskates
That's one way to look at it, but I personally prefer it in electronic form since (1) it is ecologically sound (saves paper), especially given that most people don't read their manuals anyway; and (2) it allows you to search for specific words instantly without thumbing through a paper manual.

I also print out manuals (or parts) from time to time when necessary, I admit.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2005, 3:17 AM   #5

With regard to your original question about the blur surrounding where the camera is focussed. You are up against some physical limitations.

An earlier suggestion was to increase your f-stop to at least f8. You can only do this in either complete manual mode or aperture priority mode. The reason for doing this is rooted in some physics about light and your camera lens. Basically, the larger the f-stop the wider the range of the area and things that are in focus. So, by increasing the f-stop the theory is that the rest of the objects in your airplane photo would come into focus.

However, increasing your f-stop means that the light falling on your model must be sufficient to still take a good picture. If you have sufficient light then you've got most of the problem solved. There are some other tricks to help if you can't get enough light on the subject.

For example, read your manual about adjusting the ASA setting so that your camera is more sensitive. High ASA settings do come at a price. The higher the ASA setting in cameras like yours means that your shots will start having unwanted noise, i.e. random tiny white spots which most people hardly notice but pros get very agitated about.

Hope this helps.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2005, 5:19 AM   #6
Cop

Thanks Selvin I seem to have conquered this problem now. But I will start playing with ASA settings as its the only way to learn. (Theres always the default setting should it go horrible. ) Plus theres always you lot willing to help out.

Cheers Cop.