Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 1, 2002, 4:15 PM   #1

Default 5050 Remote ??

I notice that the Olympus 5050 does not come with the infared remote control as does the 4040 and others. I understand that it has the capability for the infared remote. I have searched the Olympus web site and their online brochures and I have not been able to find any reference to the remote control for this model,except that there is one..........somewhere. Can anyone shed any light on where I can find out about the remote accessory for this camera,or maybe, does the the one for the 3040,4040 work for the 5050 model also? Thanks
Kanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2002, 5:56 PM   #2

If you read Steve's Digicams review of the 5050, you would have read that it uses the Olympus RM-1 remote (same as the other Oly digitals compatible with the remote).

Here's a basic list of features that I wrote for a C-730 user about how the remote functions:

Basically, you first have to select the remote control option with the drive button on the camera. Then you have to point the remote to the front of the camera and press the shutter button on the remote. The timer light will flash for aprox. 3 seconds and the camera will take the picture. The W and T are for zooming, the + and - are for when you are using the camera as a presentation device in play mode (like the advance and reverse on a slide projector). You can use the remote about 16 feet away from the camera, and 15 degrees off centre of the camera at 9.8 feet. In bright areas the remote will be less effective, especially if the bight light is directly in front of the camera or the remote.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 6:01 PM   #3

Unless Oly took some radically different path with the 5050 the RM-1 remote from previous Olympus digicams should work. Funny how Oly is getting cheaper and cheaper with their bundles... they used to bundle NiMH AA's + charger, then they stopped doing so. I guess it was the RM-1's turn to be neglected from new camera bundles... :roll: What's next, will they include built-in 4MB of storage inside all new cameras and not include a 16MB or 32MB memory card in the bundle? Geez... :lol:
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 6:11 PM   #4

My C-700 that I bought 3 months ago was an 8meg card! :lol:
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 7:13 PM   #5

Default 5050 remote?

Hi Kanji,

I purchased a c5050 form my local camera store and the camera
dose come with the RM-1 remote, four 1700mah nimh batteries,
charger and a 32 mb dx card. If you purchased one and you didn't
recieve any of these items you may want to contact the place where you purchased it.
mopar38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2002, 7:32 PM   #6

Default Re: 5050 remote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar38
Hi Kanji,

I purchased a c5050 form my local camera store and the camera
dose come with the RM-1 remote, four 1700mah nimh batteries,
charger and a 32 mb dx card. If you purchased one and you didn't
recieve any of these items you may want to contact the place where you purchased it.
Hi,Mopar38 I have not purchased one yet,but I was looking at the box contents at several web sites and stores that have it for sale, and there is nothing mentioned about the remote being included with the other stuff. I also checked the Olympus corporate web site and the box contents description did not mention the remote being included:
"It's easy to put your digital photography skills to the test using these supplied components with your C-5050 Zoom: 32MB xD-Picture CardTM removable media; Digital Camera Win/Mac USB Cable; Video Cable; (4) AA NiMH Batteries and Charger; Carrying Strap; Lens Cap/Retainer Cord; (1) CD-ROM - CAMEDIA® Master 4.0 Software, Camera Reference Manual, Windows 98 Rev 2 Driver; Warranty Card. UPC# 050332-138216."
So,that's why I was asking about the remote.......
Old Dec 2, 2002, 10:32 AM   #7

i just got my 5050 yesterday and it does come with a remote!!!
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 7:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by geof
i just got my 5050 yesterday and it does come with a remote!!!
Hi Geof, that's great!! Did you also get the battery charger and other goodies that are listed on the box contents from the Olympus site that I posted above? Or did they not include the battery charger or some other item? thanks
Old Dec 5, 2002, 4:03 PM   #9

Kanji,
purchased a C-5050 for my wife last weekend(Xmas present)
and yes it does come with a remote controler , NiMH batteries(sp?)
& charger. also purchased two additional SM 128mb cards.
couldn't pass up the great price of $29.99(+tax) each. 8)
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 4:09 PM   #10

kanji, it did come with remote and batteries and cherger, yes everything that was spec'd. It sounds that yours was missing it.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote