Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 2, 2002, 9:06 AM   #1

Default E-10 over-weight?

Checking the specs here at steves-digicams, the E-10 weighs in at a whopping 37 oz., whereas the Fuji FinePix S602 and Minolta Dimage 7 tip the scales at only 17 oz. apiece. Why is the E-10 more than twice as heavy as the other two? I intend to go back and check those numbers, but I'm fairly certain they're all 'empty camera/no batteries/no add-on's' weights.

Thank you.
Owlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2002, 9:40 AM   #2
NHL

That's real, most people also equate heft with quality since the Oly is made entirely with optics whereas the other two replace them with lighter electronics viewfinders. If you are used to optical viewfinder then stick with the Oly, it's the closest to a film SLR.

Even with the batteries and tulip shade the D7 still feel like 'plastic' to some people...even though the Dimage is entirely made of magnesium metal alloy.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 10:42 AM   #3

Thanks, NHL. I don't know much about electronic vs. optical viewfinders (time to pay Steve's dictionary a visit), but quality certainly plays a huge role in my ultimate decision.
Old Dec 2, 2002, 2:11 PM   #4

take a look at the size of the lenses: oly has a fairly hefty lens diameter and size. That as well as the overall construction i would think.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 4:23 PM   #5

That big beautiful lens on the E10 and E20 adds a lot of weight, along with the optical viewfinder. Actually, I prefer a little more weight. It helps me keep the camera steady when shooting. And, as an old-time (film) SLR owner, I like the optical viewfinder and the manual zoom ring. My CP 950 has motor-driven zoom, and I never have liked it. I feel I have more control when I'm doing the zoom myself.
The weight of the Oly can be a pain sometimes. Like on a lengthy hike. I'm keeping my CP 950 for those times when I need to travel light. But I really do like the feeling of QUALITY that the E20 has. Maybe the weight is part of it, but all the controls have a nice feel, the menus are very user-friendly. I've only had it about a month, and I'm already very comfortable with it.
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 5:09 PM   #6

I share Bert's view on the E-10/20. As an E-10 owner and long user of SLR cameras, I must say the E-10 is a lightweight compared to other SLR's.

Bert: for those long hikes maybe you could get a neoprene neck strap which might better distribute the weight, and since it would be more confortable than the Olympus one, you'd feel less fatigued.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 5:22 PM   #7

Thanks, Bert. You've actually answered another question I had bouncing around in my head after I sent the EVF/OVF question. That question was: 'What kind of viewfinder did my SLR's likely have?' It's likely they were OVF. My current digicam is an Olympus D-360L.

As to the weight of the E-10, I should have realized 'that big beautiful lens' has something to do with the camera's overall weight. I agree with you, also, on your preference for a weightier camera, for the same reason. As much as anything else, I held a Nikon CoolPix 4500 the other day to see how it felt in my hand. In a word, it felt...SMALL! I kiept bringing my left hand up to hold the left side of the camera. Unfortunately, I was at my mall (not the best place to go camera-shopping, I'm discovering), and they said they don't have any E-10's. It looks like I'll be buying my camera over the 'net, if I can find a good price. That won't likely be possible until after the holidays, when (hopefully) prices will return to 'normal.'
Old Dec 3, 2002, 12:51 AM   #8

Alberto,
Thanks for the tip. I'll look for one of those. Where did you find it?

Owlz,
My CP 950 (or maybe the 990?) was the last CP with a metal case. I picked up a 995 and it felt like a plastic toy. I'm sure it's a good camera...I just didn't like the feel. I like more weight than that.
When I picked up an E10 (couldn't find an E20 in a local store) it was a completely different feel...reminded me of my old film SLR's and I knew I had found what I was looking for.
EDIT: Oh, one more thing. The old film SLRs had optical viewfinders, as you say. They looked through the lens by means of a hinged mirror which flipped up out of the way when you released the shutter, giving SLR cameras their unique "clack clack" shutter sound. The E10 and E20 have an OVF, but they don't have the mirror! They use a beamsplitter prism, so you get through-the-lens viewing without the "clack clack". It's a clever solution, but there are a couple of compromises...you have to close a shutter on the viewfinder when taking long exposures or using the monitor for a viewfinder, or light "leaks" back in through the viewfinder and spoils the picture. It's a small price to pay for an OVF and no "clack clack"...IMHO.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 1:39 AM   #9

Bert, I actually don't have one :P I heard it from someone that the neoprene straps were much more confortable... I've been meaning to buy one for my E-10, been using my Nikon neck strap in place of the Olympus'. It's a little wider and has more padded surface, so it helps. Lately I took the strap off because I've been using the E-10 on the Stroboframe. Dang, with the Metz, E-10 and DPS-9000 mounted on the Stroboframe it seems more stable! But it's a workout for my left arm :lol:
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 2:10 AM   #10

Alberto,
For Thanksgiving pix, I put the off-cam bracket and portrait grip, FL-40 flash and the monster Power Battery pack on. Talk about a handful! But it handles beautifully that way! I felt like a professional photographer!!! I was surprised how well the whole thing is balanced. I guess somebody did their homework on that at Olympus.
I left the strap on, and just let the whole thing dangle around my neck! It wasn't bad...for a few minutes, anyway. I think a better strap is called for. I'll see what I can find and let you know what I learn.