Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 2, 2002, 2:27 PM   #1

Default the good old days

this may be strange comming from an all-for-the-goodness-of-technology kinda guy, but i remember when beautifully made cameras used to come with, or have as available accessory, equally beautiful, custom for that model leaher cases (like my Leica m6, Canon F1N Bronica etc.). I just bought an oly 5050, which i regard as the best looking digicam out there now ( personal opinion i know), and would really like to see it in a nicely fitted case, rather than a one-for-all lowepro or tamrak.
Maybe part of the rason people see digicams as expensive toys, is because thay are not exactly presented was the proffesional, serious photography tool that they are!!! They are sold as (how did nikon put it: 3mp toys).
Does anyone know if there is such an animal for my 5050, or if there is anyone making them? Even the olympus one looks generic.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2002, 3:45 PM   #2

Hello from another Torontonian...I know exactly what you mean. I have so many other beefs about digitals that I didn't have before I bought an Oly-C700 like no body on the left side of the lens to hang on to, the viewinder doesn't have the ability to mount an eyecup, plastic tripod mount, etc.

I'm using the gadget bag right now from my SLR...lots of extra room for the C-700 with the filter tube on it all the time. Still have yet to find a regular case though that will fit the camera w/tube, and be in a material that doesn't make my skin crawl.
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2002, 4:14 PM   #3

I just bought an E20, and it doesn't come with any case at all. A hard leather case is offered as an option. I may buy it, but I also remember the high-grade leather cases that my SLR cameras came with twenty or thirty years ago. You would think they would provide SOME kind of case with a digital SLR...
Bert Bigelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 8:24 AM   #4
lg

I can't help you on a custom bag by Olympus for your camera, but the Samsonite Worldproof 3.02 bag fits my camera and other digicams with SLR-type bodies like a glove and offers great protection for it. The camera rests face down on two velcro-mounted supports with the lens barrel hanging between them. It was recommended to my by a friend who owns a diMage 7.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 9:19 AM   #5

LG
Nice camera bag. I bought a Kodak camera bag in Kmart for my C4040. The interior of the bag is padded and has a velco seperator where I also store my tubes and filters. The cost was $15.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 11:08 AM   #6

As far as I know you can obtain a purpose made (Olympus) leather case for the Oly 4040, 3020 etc. Is the 5050 so different in dimensions, might be worth you looking into it.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 11:59 AM   #7

the 5050 is different enough not to fit; also it has more buttons everywhere and a tilting screen.
i will take a look at the bags you suggested, but i found that all bags i have seen are carrying bags only. by that i mean that you have to take out the camera to use it. My Leica case for example, only has to be flipped open to operate the camera,which allowes it to be partially protected while carrying and using. Plus it makes the camera look and feel right.
...thanks for all the suggestions, but maybe i am looking for something that either most people do not want, or dont like to have.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 12:48 PM   #8

I bought a bag over the net once - mistake. Even though it claimed it was perfect for my camera it wasn't.

I went shopping recently for a bag for my C730 and found a great one. It tkaes the camera with CLA 4 attached with a lovely snug fit. I can get all the accessories in the bag too - 2 sets of spare bats memory cards and filters, zips up rather than flaps over. A great bag that holds all at the minimum size possible. It's a Samsonite Trekking - just a bit expensive though.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote