Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 16, 2005, 8:12 PM   #1

I originally had an Olympus D-450 digital camera that took fantastic low light picts.
I have tried, unsuccessfully, to get the same quality from the new C-750, but have not had any similar results.
I realize the D-450 is a point-and-shoot, but on auto it couldn't be beat.
does anybody have any suggestions how I can set the new C-750 to get the same results I got from the D-450?
Thanks,
Norm
Stormin Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 17, 2005, 12:20 PM   #2

I gather you're having a couple different problems:

1) acquiring accurate AF focus lock in low light - cameras which rely on contrast detection exclusively for AF have toruble in low light, but I could get accurate AF lock w/ my C-750 more often than not in a room lit w/ only by a 75-watt table lamp. Try composing vertically, hold OK button and switch to MF mode (to lock focus) and re-compose horizontally.

2) camera shake in low light - due to long shutter speeds. Boost ISO, use flash or get a tripod.

jkusmier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 7:45 PM   #3

jksmier, I had no problems getting excellent results with the older Olympus D-450. In fact I used it many times to see into a room that was so poorly light that I could not see anything in the room. At the time I was house hunting, so the camera was a big help is seeing what was there.
I took these picts without any flash, and the picts came out looking like I was in daylight.
No flash, but the picture was perfect..... and this was on the "AUTO" setting.
Unfortunately, the C-750 hasn't been able to duplicate the D-450. Like you mentioned, I get camera shake because the shutter is open too long.
I was hoping someone could tell me what settings the D-450 had that produced such excellent picts.
Thanks for your suggestions,
Norm
Old Mar 17, 2005, 8:23 PM   #4

I don't know the C450 personally, but find it hard to believe you could be getting that good pictures in a dark room without flash. Having said that, one difference between the two cameras is that the flash top has to be opened manually on the 750 while it flashes whenever necessary on the 450. Have you been shooting on Auto with the 750? If not, where was the ISO set? In darker conditions, try setting it manually on 400 (but expect more noise). Neither camera will focus automatically under dark conditions (neither one has a focus assist lamp), but the 750 has manual focus scale that can be set on the estimated distance to subject).

Also, where was the zoom set? Shooting with the zoom requires faster shutter speeds (and thus more light to remain stable), so the chance of camera shake is greater. To try out a new camera like this, I wouldn't start from the worst conditions (dark room), but the best (bright outdoor sunlight, using tripod, etc.), just to see what it's capable of, and to be be sure there are not problems with the camera itself. The camera will take excellent pictures if you learn its capabilities.
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2005, 9:04 PM   #5

Norm,thanks for your comments.
actually, both camera's flashes must be manually opened.
Also, I have been using auto with both camera's. However, I tried other settings on the C-750, but nothing improved.
I don't know just how the 540 was able to focus under low light conditions, but the picts looked like they were taken in strong daylight, no kidding.
I am only using the worst condition of very low light however the 750 isn't giving me good picts, USUALLY, in semewhat poor lighting, whereas the 450 would.
I complained to Olympus, but the guy there only offer that the 450 was a POINT & SHOOT camera and would be expected to give excellent picts under auto conditions.
I fully understand the 750 is supposted to be a better camera than the 450, but I am not getting as good picts. Don't get me wrong, I HAVE gotten great picts..... just NOT under the same low light picts as I did with the 450.
Here is an example of a good low light pict taken with the 450. The pict was taken in a new house under construction. There were no lights (no electricity) in the basement and very few windows as you can see, in the room where I took the pict.
If I used the 750, I doubt I would have gotten anything at all.
Hopefully the pict will attach and you can see it.
Thanks again,
Norm
Attached Images

Old Mar 17, 2005, 10:16 PM   #6

The 450 was probably one of the best low light non-DSLR cameras ever made. Because of the low CCD density it could go to ISO 650 and not overcome you with noise. It was noisy at that ISO but not terrible. My guess is that it is probably less noisy at ISO 650 than the 750 is at ISO 400 due to having only 1.3Mp in a sensor only very slightly smaller. But the difference between ISO 400 and 650 isn't great enough that your 450 available light shots should look like bright daylight where the 750 shots wouldn't come out at all.

What I would suggest you do is to take exactly the same picture with both cameras at wide angle and the 750 set on ISO 400. Make sure that they both are taking in the exact amount of image from the same spot. Start zooming and you have a lot more problems with available light handheld shots. And make sure the 750 is on auto exposure so it will open the lens all the way for you and that both flashes are off. I think you will find the results to be closer than you think. Not the "same results" but closer than one camera taking a shot that looks like bright daylight and the other not getting the shot at all.

The shot you posted could probably be taken handheld if you hold the camera steady with most cameras. There is bright daylight filtering into the room. Your eyes have a much wider range for exposure than cameras and you can be deceived at the actual amount of light available. My guess is that you are comparing apples to oranges and shooting in lower actual light if you are not getting the shot at all in situations where you think the 450 would give a good one.

The 450 is a tough act to follow for low light capability though.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 3:24 AM   #7

Try setting the AF mode on the C-750 to 'iESP'. Yes, in iESP mode, the focus area sometimes moves around automatically - and very annoyingly - but it also seems to autofocus better in low light using iESP, for some reason.
EOS RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:11 AM   #8

Thanks Slipe for trying to help.
I think you are correct, the 450 just is too good to match.
Unfortunately, I do not have the 450 anymore, so I cannot compare the picts.
And as far as the sunlight filtering in the pict, please accept my statement that the room was very dark and that light you see is actually enhanced by the camera. If I used the 750 camera I believe I would not have gotten any pict at all, with or without the flash!
Norm
Old Mar 20, 2005, 10:13 AM   #9

Thanks EOS RT.
I will try your suggestion.
Norm