Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 2, 2002, 9:33 PM   #1

Default Need tips for indoor shots with 4040

What is the best way to shoot indoor shots with incandesent lighting ? I have an Olympus 4040 and when I shoot in program mode with the flash the shutter speed is always down around 1/30sec. It's pretty hard to hold the camera still at that shutter speed. Can I manually set the shutter speed with shutter priority to say 1/125sec or 1/200sec and still use the flash ? Also sometimes the flash shots seem a little washed out. Anyone with any suggestions for shooting good indoor shots with this camera ?
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2002, 11:30 PM   #2

I believe you already answered part of your question Use shutter priority and set it to whatever shutter speed you want, the flash will go off automatically since there won't be enough light, or you can set the flash to fill-in, where it will fire on all shots.

As for the washed out images, I'm not too familiar with the 4040, but as for any built-in flash you lack some creative controls such as bouncing the light off ceilings. What you could try, and I tried it a few times on my E-10 prior to getting an external flash unit, I held a piece of white paper in front of the flash at about a 45 degree angle, so some light would reflect up to the ceiling and some would be diffused and still go through the paper. I did this to shoot a birthday cake, worked out quite nicely
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2002, 8:33 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I will give the piece of white paper a try. I was trying to get a more natural looking shot indoors.

Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2002, 11:30 AM   #4

On the back of the camera near viewfinder is flash select button. Scrolling through will give you several choices (NO flash, redeye, etc) choose the flash symbol for indoor flash with handheld shutterspeed. This will give you predominantly flash, which is best when light level is very low. Scrolling to the selection that is the flash symbol and the words "slow synch 1" or "slow synch 2" will give you the shutterspeed as it would be without flash, all the way down to thirty(?) seconds. Use this when the light level is fairly good. To choose whether slow synch 1 or slow synch 2 appears in the LCD, use the menu to set that parameter. That stands for 1=front curtain 2=rear curtain. If you don't know which you want, either will work for what you are doing. BUT if you choose 2=rear curtain, that is always slow synch. For shutterspeeds less 1/30, rest the camera on the back of a chair, on a table, braced against the wall, whatever, if you don't (or won't) have a tripod. I know these manuals are hard to understand, but you really need to try. Nice thing about digicams, you can try it while you read about it.
Skiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2002, 9:36 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will go practice and try the slow sync 1. Thank You for your help

Chris