Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Apr 4, 2005, 5:52 PM   #31

Ok, I have tried it with my C770.
First, I couldn't enter in CONTROL mode, because the right combination in my camera was OK + the button used to switch between the TFT screen and the internal viewer (it's like a |o| button).

Then, I entered in control mode, changed the USB to Control, powered off the camera, connected the USB cable, powered on the camera, executed the OlyRAW program and activated the RAW mode.
Then powered off the camera and disconnected the USB cable. Entered again in CONTROL mode and changed the USB to Storage.

After these steps, I thought I had the cam in RAW mode, so I tried to take some pictures.

The camera showed HQ 2288x1712 mode, but when I shot the first picture, it took a long time to save and it beeped (it's the first time I hear my Oly beep!)

Then, when I connected the USB cable again and explored my XD card, there where 2 JPG photos: one was 742Kb and the other one was 5800Kb

The interesting thing was when I tried to take a TIFF picture: the original one was 11Mb and the "RAW" was 5Mb

Hope this helps!!
Antonio

avalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 4:31 PM   #32

Hi!
Sounds alright, when you here the beep your camera has alkready written the raw and starts to write the jpg. Remeber your cam will write raw+jpg simultanous. The raw file will be bigger and will have a jpg file extension as well. To view or work with it, youll need to convert it.
I think the 5800Kb file you are talking about is a raw file.
good luck

hacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:41 PM   #33

Hello and thanks for the answer,

i try to open the olyrawnef.exe but it just shows a black dos win for a sec and then disappears! I can only open the rawutil which asks for the model name and settings and then cant see any button of applying those setting on my pics. Should change any of my winxp settings to open the olyrawnef.exe file?

thank you

Michael
Michalispro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 9:25 AM   #34

Hi!

>i try to open the olyrawnef.exe but it just shows a black >dos win for a sec and then disappears! I can only open the >rawutil which asks for the model name and settings and then >cant see any button of applying those setting on my pics. >Should change any of my winxp settings to open the >olyrawnef.exe file?
you need to open the command line in you windows. Then go to the folder where olyraw2nef lies and start it by the command line with the right parameters. You must be familar with Dos commands to achieve all this. So if not read a little bit on the web before trying. Here a few hints:
you will change your drive by type DRIVE: like c: or d:
to change a folder type cd PATH like cd c:\mypictures\rawfiles

the file rawutil is just for adjusting the camera database olyraw2mef is using. you probably wont need it.

Hope this helps
Old Apr 6, 2005, 3:14 PM   #35

hi,

it's easier to use RawWork.
it's a gui for olyraw2nef and you don't need the commandline.
you can download it here:

http://hard1ock.narod.ru/files/RawWork_e.rar

KR
KingRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2005, 4:41 PM   #36

hello

about disabling the raw format without the use of the computer: what do u mean use the hi-shutter mode? U mean choosing shutting priority and then choosing a low shutter time? I've tried that anyway and it stills saves a raw file as well.

thank you,

Michael
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:40 PM   #37

no, just choose the hi drive mode. its the third in the drive mode list in the camera menu list.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 8:52 PM   #38

Hello,

i tried opening the .nefs files to photoshop but it wouldnt open it. I use photoshop 7. Do i need to download anything to open the .nef using photoshop. I already downloaded to cam2pc program.

thanks,

Michael
Old Apr 10, 2005, 9:18 AM   #39

Hi

i hope this thread is still active.
I am able to open the nef file in photoshop but the Nikon Coolpix 8700 Raw Viewer opens instead of the Adobe Photoshop Raw dialog box.

if someone is having a similar problem go here
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/326616.html

it din't work for me as i do not have a plugin named Nikon Nef Plugin.8bi .. although i own a nikon i never installed any nikon drivers in here so it couldn't be the problem

how do i get the raw to open in photoshop?
Gladly appreciate any assistance
zonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:37 AM   #40

zonne wrote:
Quote:
how do i get the raw to open in photoshop?
Gladly appreciate any assistance
I hope I don't sound silly, but have you looked here?

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html

If you have already intalled a raw plugin for photoshop, have you tried drag&dropping the raw file to an open PS window?

Next thing to try is changing the file association (force it to open with PS instead)...
Pytheas is offline   Reply With Quote