Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Jun 22, 2005, 5:50 AM   #51

HINT:
To create RAW files for Oly C740 use olyraw2nef with C760 setting with "shift right" & "shift down" enabled.

RAW is great...
Yantar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 4:12 AM   #52

Yantar,
before you edited your post you mentioned that you updated your C740 with "the latest firmware" and then enabled raw mode. I am curious to know how you updated your firmware, and which firmware version you are actually referring to. Did you have Olympus upgrade your firmware to the latest SDK compatible firmware, or did you use the latest version available from the Oly website? It is my understanding that the latest downloadable version disables camera control mode, which is necessary to use olyraw.

I ask because I also have a C740 with firmware too old to be used with olyraw, and do not know what to do short of sending my camera in to Olympus for a firmware upgrade. Please, just explain exactly what you did to make yours work!

Thanx,
-RH
R_Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2005, 7:39 AM   #53

Hi R_Hyde !

"Did you have Olympus upgrade your firmware to the latest SDK compatible firmware, or did you use the latest version available from the Oly website? It is my understanding that the latest downloadable version disables camera control mode, which is necessary to use olyraw."

I have upgraded my old firmware (ver. 79 as I remember) with PictBridge firmware from Olympus web page. It does not disable camera control mode in our Oly C740.

"I ask because I also have a C740 with firmware too old to be used with olyraw, and do not know what to do short of sending my camera in to Olympus for a firmware upgrade. Please, just explain exactly what you did to make yours work!"

All you have to do is:

1. Upgrade your Oly with upgading software from Olympus web page. They give well explained instruction with "step by step" wizard (text and pictures). Easy to do.

2. Switch Oly to control mode. Use OlyRAW help to do it. Also well explained.

3. Use OlyRAW to enable RAW files.

4. Dont forget to switch camera to the previous mode ("storage").

After those four steps, Olympus has RAW enabled. When you take picture, camera saves on xDPicture Card two JPGs. The 4.5MB "JPG" file is our RAW. You will not be able to preview RAW picture in the camera - it will show "picture error", but no need to worry.

Use olyraw2nef software to convert RAW file to NEF. To do this, use C760 setting, but before that you have to check "shift right" and "shift down" in olyraw2nef configuration window under C760 options. Then from command line:

olyraw2nef -C760UZ filename.JPG [Enter]

Finally open newely created NEF file with RAWShooter and.... have fun.

Best Regards, Yantar
Old Jun 24, 2005, 5:42 AM   #54

Thank you, Yantar! I tried it and it worked like a charm. Now I just have to figure out how to get the best settings for my .nef files & start playing with the camera raw ps plugin

-RH
R_Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 1:27 AM   #55

I am glad to hear it, RH.

I have been waiting for two years, for someone to enable RAW in Oly C740. Thanks to LazyCODEr it is possible from now on. Back to my RAWs...

Best regards, Yantar.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:38 PM   #56

Olyraw works fine but I can't disable Raw with my windows XP. Any tips?

TIA

Ray
Ray97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 2:41 PM   #57

Olyraw works fine, however I have a problem disabling RAW using the PC. I am using Windows XP Professional edition. Any tips would be appreciated.

TIA

Ray
Old Jul 12, 2005, 2:37 PM   #58

Olyraw works fine but can't disable RAW mode using Windows XP Professional. Any help?

TIA

Ray
Old Jul 12, 2005, 2:48 PM   #59

Try disable using this program: hxxp://lexand.h15.ru/files/RawEnabler.zip
LazyC0DEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:13 AM   #60

I have an Olympus C-770.

I have been using it for taking all sorts of pictures. I've been experimenting trying to take better and sharper pictures.

I was curious about raw mode, I know the good camera support raw mode directly.
What advantage does RAW mode have? Will the quality of the image be any better? As far as I understand RAW mode, there is some quality gain since there is absolutely no compression, but I thought that was the advantage of TIF as well.
Saxi is offline   Reply With Quote