Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Mar 22, 2005, 1:05 PM   #1

I'm using my C-755 at full 10X zoom shooting objects at around 300ft away. There are tree branches in the way at about half that distance. How do I keep the AF from focusing on the branches? Or is there a way to insure that the entire scene is in focus? Thanks.

Howard
hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2005, 12:30 PM   #2

Use spot focus and make sure the desired subject is in the little centre box. I've used it to focus through a wire fence OK, but you may have to frame to where you can see something the desired distance, half-press, and then move the camera back to the subject.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 3:28 AM   #3

Further info since firmware update:-

I can't be sure that this following fix is possible without using the v753e-88-D01 firmware as I can't remember it working like this before............

Go to manual focus and focus roughly on the desired distance, switch back to auto focus and let the camera focus. This always seems to work now for me now, the camera never seems to get confused between the 2 possible focal distances like it did before.

Or spot focus is OK usually, but the above method seems to be more able to differentiate between 2 possible focus points, especially if one is directly behind the other.

Old Apr 17, 2005, 6:29 PM   #4

Steve, thanks for the update. I'll try it out tomorrow. As for that firmware upgrade, is that the one that enables pictbridge but disables computer control? Were there any other improvements that you noticed? I have v753u2-87, which I believe was the latest included on a camera, and wonder if the upgrade is really necessary.
hakaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2005, 11:38 AM   #5

Yes I believe it does disable computer control, but I've no intention of using that particular facility or a non-English menu so it's no loss. My old firmware was the one previous to yours, 753u2-86 and I bought the cam in Feb 2004 in the U.K.

I haven't noticed any other changes so far, but it's perfect anyway!