Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 5, 2002, 4:20 PM   #1

Default buffer vs rez

my 5050 has a handy feature that shows me the buffer filling up as i shoot continuously on hi-speed continuous mode.
Here is where i am confused: the buffer is a certain size (30mgs in the 5050 i heard) and it does shoot 4 shots at 2560X1920 hi-rez ; so far so good. Then it goes on to only shoot 4 shots at 1024X768 at low rez.
Shouldn't the buffer be able to handle more smaller filles before filing up?
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2002, 5:50 PM   #2

The C-2100 camera has that feature as well, and in drive mode I can fill up the buffer with alot of pictures when using a lower image quality. I am not sure if and why oly would change how it works on the 5050. Did you only change the image size, or did you lower the quality as well?
MIDACL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2002, 6:22 PM   #3

That's because in the 5050, as in the E-10 and E-20, the camera first captures every frame as a raw format, which doesn't change whether you chose a different resolution or compression ammount, the raw file is always captured at maximum resolution w/o compression. After it's stored temporarily in the buffer the camera electronics convert the raw file to a an image of the size and compression the user specifies, and from there it's sent off to the memory card. I'm not familiar with the way the C-2100 handles files internally, but I wish Oly would've allowed for a greater burst depth with lower resolutions.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2002, 12:04 PM   #4

well what do you know...thanks marokero. This does really limit the use of the hi speed shoooting though.
geof is offline   Reply With Quote