Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 8, 2002, 4:05 AM   #1

Default C730 Noise Pictures

Just got my C730UZ, all pictures taken indoor are very noise. My old 2020Z is doing a much better job than this new 730UZ. I have been using digital camera almost 5 years so I know what I am doing. Can anyone help me to overcome this problem? I bought this camera for the zoom feature and don't know it take such bad indoor pictures.
tcl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2002, 4:49 AM   #2

Look at the other thread below called noisy 730.

David
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 4:51 AM   #3

Try turning down contrast, sharpness and color saturation. Also, you might want to try running the pixel mapping routine, using the tips contained here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/read....essage=3878323

Seems to have helped a couple people quite a bit. The camera is noisier than most, so it may take some tweaking to get the most out of it.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2002, 3:25 AM   #4

Thanks for the info to reduce the noise from the C730. I did the PM three times as instructed. It seems to be working and the pictures taken have less noise as before. Now I can enjoy this camera. Thanks!
tcl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2002, 6:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip

Switched on the camera cold, ran pixel mapping once and it's practically cleared up the noise problem. Even indoor low light minus flash shots look good.
JTravern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2002, 2:04 PM   #6

I took my 730 out last weekend and gave it a good trial in poor light. It now works (noiseless pics) great.

What a pity I had to find a cure for the noise via forums and not in the manual.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 12:45 AM   #7

I have read your complaints regarding image noise in Olympus C730 pics. If you continue to have problems with noise despite the remedies suggested in this forum you should consider downloading Neat image from http://www.neatimage.com/. You can get a freeware version. It works very well, though you have to care adjusting it corretly or you will get a very artificial clean look. I am presently considering buying the C730, but am not so sure any more. I have, however, noticed that the IS0 100 pictures on Steves Digicam are quite noisefree whereas samples from other review sites appear quite noisy. Any thoughts on this what this might be down to other than pixel mapping? Anyway I have tried the Neat Image on a very noisy picture taken with the C730, and it did away with the noise very nicely. It also works well with hig ISO number such as 200 and 400. Hope this is helpful.
Jens Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2003, 1:39 AM   #8

I have a C-720 but also found often low light shots under Auto or Program modes were sometimes noisy which is the direct result of the camera increasing the ISO setting.

The 720, and presumably the 730 also, is rather noisy at higher ISO settings but not particularly more so than other equivalent cameras in its price range I imagine.

I now manually set ISO to 100 even for available low light or flash indoor shots unless I REALLY need to use a faster shutter speed, in which case I bump the ISO up a notch or two and live with the noisy results. These can be greatly mitigated through downsampling for computer/web display purposes or the free version of Neat Image if larger than 4x6 prints are required.
Richard Howes is offline   Reply With Quote