Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 9, 2002, 8:46 AM   #11

A copy of my reply to tcl4 from the Oly_C-700 Yahoo group:

I think that's more a problem with using higher ISO settings (especially when you're on automatic modes)...you should look at the Exifs of your pictures that are noisy to see what settings were used. I admit I only have a C-700, but when using automatic modes I get similar results...by overiding features like ISO and shutter speed I get excellent indoor shots. As for steady hands that goes for ANY camera.

Note, in the C-700 group your message mentioned noise on indoor shots which you neglected to mention here.

I admit the only thing that would convince me is a known professional or myself do a side-by-side comparison of the C-730 and C-700 taking the same picture using the exact same settings and not using any Auto mode.

The Oly_C-700 Yahoo group (also for C-720 and C-730 users) is located at:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Oly_C-700/
Mike_PEAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 9:18 AM   #12

Mike_PEAT >> I'm certainly not a pro, but I will most likely be able to do a side by side comparison tonight between a C700 and my C730 (indoor shots).

My opinion this far is that the pics from the 730 are way to noisy. I expected a lot better quality.

Regards
Micke
Micke O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 11:00 AM   #13

Have those of you who find the noise unacceptable tried the things that have been suggested here and elsewhere to help? Turn down sharpness, contrast and saturation, run pixel mapping according to Bradly's suggestions? I think the C-730 is noisy, but some of the complaints continue to come from those who haven't taken fairly simple measures to alleviate the noise. It will be easier to judge after more people have tried those things. Those who have so far report (and post) good results.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 12:29 PM   #14

Well I turned down the contrast etc. Carried out Pixel Mapping whilst the camera was quite warm. Has it improved things - yes I think quite a lot.

Here's my analogy:

Ever seen a telly with a poor picture cos the signal is weak and compared to a telly with a good signal and very clean picture. Well that's how my 730 ompares to my 3020.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 3:03 PM   #15

Steve6, do you have some current test shots, post adjustments, available for viewing?
Old Dec 9, 2002, 3:07 PM   #16

We've now finished the comparision between the 700 and the 730. The 730 produces better exposures, sharper but noisier pictures. The automatic whitebalance is better as well at the 730.

I've tried to set sharpening to -5 but it didn't help a lot. Since I've read that some people got even worse results after a pixelmapping I haven't dared trying it. I don't want to turn down the saturation since I think it is now exactly what it should be.

Since I'm still using a poor 56Kbs modem I haven't posted any examples...
Micke O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 10:51 PM   #17

The idea with the pixel mapping (well, Bradly's idea, I should say) is to run it as many times as you like, testing as you go, until you get the best results. Bradly did it many times until he was sure the results wouldn't get any better. His test shots do look very good.
Old Dec 10, 2002, 7:15 AM   #18

Sanpete,
are those test shots posted online? Do youhave the link please?

thank you.
sue
sue turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 7:33 AM   #19

I bought the C-730 the other day, mainly for the features the camera offers, but so far I have found the pictures to be quite noisy. I notice steve did not mention this at all on his review. Shame for such an excellent site devoted to digi-cams. I just remember reading this 'has the excellent image quality we've come to expect from olympus'.

I will look into the ways to reduce the noise, and I hope they work since my featureless 2 mp point and shoot camera I had before produced cleaner pics.
JTravern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2002, 9:46 AM   #20
lg

If you are balking at the cost of the 730, why not consider a refurbished C-2100? It's hundreds less, has image stabilization, and all the features you said you are looking for.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote