Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Olympus

Old Dec 8, 2002, 11:13 AM   #1

Default C-730 appropriate?

I am driving myself nuts trying to choose a camera, and I am hoping you all can tell me I have made the right decision

I currently own an Olympus D-340R 1.3 MP point and shoot. I am looking at the C-730.

The 340 has served me well, but the limitations are driving me nuts. (maybe it's me? lol)

I have a very hard time filling the frame, so I use the telephoto option, but then I am still so close that the flash washes everything out.

I do a lot of pictures of birds, and my Cockatoo is all white... looks like a ghost, no definition at all.... he just glows from the flash. I also have an African Grey, and their grey feathers are edged in white, and I want to be able to see that.

I need excellent close up, as well as wanting to fill the frame for the kids school plays etc. (the 340 is usless at the school auditorium)

I do a lot of indoor shooting. I need detail. It will be very handy for the work I do.

I do marketing and advertising for Parrot products. I need to take quality, detailed pictures of foods, and of birds playing with toys.

I was looking at the C-4000, but no sound on the video. I will be taking short movies for website upload, and sound is a must.

I like the manual settings options......

Anyway, do you think the C-730 is a good choice for me? Or is it overkill? To be honest the price tag is a bit stiff for me, but would spend it, knowing it would accomplish all I need and that it would hold it's value for a couple of years. I am open to suggestions.

thank you for your input!
sue t.
sue turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 8, 2002, 12:34 PM   #2

Having recently bought a 730 I can't recommend it - too noisy but otherwise good.

Try the C4000 or 3020 if you can get one.
steve6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 1:21 PM   #3

How dare you critisize olympus!!
I recommend other c4000 posts on this lovely forum.
Fuji 602!!?

David
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 2:56 PM   #4

hi steve, I have read your thread... I am not a pro photograher, the pictures I need detail for will be mostly for web based stuff.... and then pics of the kids to print.... still too noisy?
The 4000 and 3020 do not have the sound on the video which I do need....

thank you for your reply =)
sue
Old Dec 8, 2002, 2:58 PM   #5

Hi David,
I will take a look at the Fuji. Do you think the noise is an issue if you are printing out say 4x6 prints and mostly website stuff? Does it affect the detail in that kind of setting? Or is it larger prints this would appear on?

thanks for your reply.
sue t.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 3:03 PM   #6

fuji, ok, ouch! $200.00 more at retail....
will watch for your reply to my last question. =)
sue t.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 6:09 PM   #7

See these shots and judge for yourself:

http://www.pbase.com/image/6627015/original
http://www.pbase.com/image/5822203/original

Noise can be a problem for this camera. Very unlikely you'd see it at 4x6 or compressed to the web. Has a great zoom for nature shots.
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2002, 6:57 PM   #8

Sanpete!! Stunning picture of the sulfur crested Cockatoo! I have a Triton GSC. You have SOLD me on this camera, that is beyond my expectations!
Thank you very much for replying...
sue t.
Old Dec 8, 2002, 10:26 PM   #9

In the interest of honesty, I should point out that I didn't take those shots, and don't own the bird. But they are great, aren't they?
Sanpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2002, 4:09 AM   #10

I just got the C730UZ. From my experience and will not recommand this camera to anyone. Too much noise generated from the C730 and you must have steady hands all the time. My old 2020Z takes far more better picture than the C730. Get the C4040Zoom it has the F1.8 lens or the c4000.
tcl4 is offline   Reply With Quote